Bundles and global sections, triviality.

In summary: S^1xI, then there exists a neighborhood V of 0 such that f(V)=-1 and f(0)=0. This neighborhood is the boundary of a single closed disc in S^1. However, since the Euler class is not zero in this neighborhood, the Möbius bundle is not isomorphic to S^1xR.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi:
I am trying to understand more geometrically the relation between triviality

of bundles and existence of global sections. This is what I have for now. Please

comment/critique:

Let p:E-->B be a fiber bundle :

consider E embedded in B as the 0 section. Then , if the bundle is trivial, E

is a (global) product space; E=BxF )so that p(b,f)=b).

Then every continuous map from B to E is a global section:

I am trying to understand why we can define a global section on S^1xI as

a bundle over S^1 , but not in M, the Mobius band , as a bundle over S^1 .

It seems that the "torsion" of M (I think it is measured in Chern Classes, or

Characteristic classes. ) prevents this from happening. Anyone know, at

least intuitively how the twisting prevents a global section?.

My friend told me that we take the Mobius band as an identification/quotient space

( a square, with sides given orientations , and sides identified), say

S=IxI , and we consider the strip {1/2xI}, as the base, embedded in S .

Then, if we have a continuous map f from {1/2xI} into I , which is nowhere-zero, the

twisting (when identifying the sides of S with opposite orientation) will force f to

take on both negative and positive values . This seems intuitively correct, but too

fuzzy. How do we rigorize this?.

Then, by continuity , f must be zero at some point.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Hi:

of bundles and existence of global sections. This is what I have for now. Please

comment/critique:

consider E embedded in B as the 0 section.

To talk about the 0-section you need a vector bundle. For a general fiber bundle the 0-section is not defined. In fact, a fiber bundle can have no global sections at all.

Then , if the bundle is trivial, E

You mean from B to F.

S^1xI and the Möbius band are of course not vector bundles, but one can take S^1xR and the Möbius bundle instead (IxR with opposite sides glued in reverse orientation), which is homeomorphic to the Möbius band without the boundary.
Also, you probably mean a nonvanishing global section. The Möbius bundle has many global sections, but they all vanish at some point.

A vector bundle has a global section iff the Euler class vanishes.

My friend told me that we take the Mobius band as an identification/quotient space

Then, if we have a continuous map f from {1/2xI} into I , which is nowhere-zero, the

twisting (when identifying the sides of S with opposite orientation) will force f to

take on both negative and positive values . This seems intuitively correct, but too

Thanks.

To see that the Möbius bundle can not be isomorphic to S^1xR (this is equivalent to the existence of a global nonvanishing section), note that the complement of the zero section in S^1xR has two connected components, but the complement of the zero section in the Möbius bundle has only one. You can verify this without too much difficulty from the definition, or by constructing a paper model and cutting it along the middle.

Yes, sorry for my carelessness. Maybe I should not post at 2a.m after a long day.

Anyway: what are independent sections, as in a vector bundle (R^n bundle) is

trivial if it has n independent sections?. I understand a section is a map from

the base to the top space in which every point maps to its fibre. If

these sections are, say, {f_1,..,f_n} , and f_i: B-->R^n , do we mean that

the vectors {f_i(b)} are linearly independent?

Thanks.

Yes, linear independent sections are just pointwise linearly independent (by definition).

WWGD said:
Hi:

comment/critique:

consider E embedded in B as the 0 section. Then , if the bundle is trivial, E

Thanks.

The Mobius band can be thought of as a rectangle with two of the opposite edges identified by a reflection.

to be concrete take the rectangle [0,1] x [-1,1] and identify the two vertical edges by (0,y) - > (1,-y)

A section would be a map from the unit interval on the x-axis into this rectangle x -> (x,S(x)) with the property that S(0) is the negative of S(1). By the intermediate value theorem this can not happen unless S crosses zero.

Generally if you have n independent sections of a n-plane bundle then there is a map from BxR^n into the total space that maps (x,a1,...,an) to a1.S1(x) + ...+ an.Sn(x). It is easy to show that this map is a homeomorphism

"
wofsy said:
The Mobius band can be thought of as a rectangle with two of the opposite edges identified by a reflection.

to be concrete take the rectangle [0,1] x [-1,1] and identify the two vertical edges by
(0,y) - > (1,-y)

A section would be a map from the unit interval on the x-axis into this rectangle x -> (x,S(x)) with the property that S(0) is the negative of S(1). By the intermediate value theorem this can not happen unless S crosses zero."

I see, so S(0)=-S(1) by the identification (0,y)-> (1,-y) , right?

WWGD said:
"
wofsy said:

to be concrete take the rectangle [0,1] x [-1,1] and identify the two vertical edges by
(0,y) - > (1,-y)

A section would be a map from the unit interval on the x-axis into this rectangle x -> (x,S(x)) with the property that S(0) is the negative of S(1). By the intermediate value theorem this can not happen unless S crosses zero."

I see, so S(0)=-S(1) by the identification (0,y)-> (1,-y) , right?

yes. You are right.

This intermediate value theorem argument is worth thinking about because it illustrates a common reason why bundles may not be trivial.

A great next example to think about is the canonical line bundle over projective 2 space.
This is the bundle over P_2 obtained from S_2 x R by the identification (x,v) -> (-x,-v).

Related to Bundles and global sections, triviality.

1. What are bundles and global sections?

Bundles and global sections are mathematical objects used in the study of topology and geometry. A bundle is a type of space that locally looks like a product space, while a global section is a continuous function that assigns a point in the base space to each point in the bundle.

2. How are bundles and global sections related?

Bundles and global sections are closely related because every bundle has a set of global sections, and every global section can be used to define a bundle. This relationship allows for the study of bundles and their properties through the study of their global sections.

3. What is the significance of triviality in the context of bundles and global sections?

Triviality refers to the state of a bundle or global section being isomorphic to a simpler, well-known object. In the context of bundles, triviality often means that the bundle can be decomposed into simpler bundles that are easier to study. For global sections, triviality can mean that the continuous function is constant or can be reduced to a simpler function.

4. How do bundles and global sections relate to the concept of fiber bundles?

Bundles and global sections are fundamental concepts in the study of fiber bundles. A fiber bundle is a type of bundle where the local product space is replaced by a more general space called the fiber. Global sections of a fiber bundle can be used to glue together the different fibers, giving rise to the structure of the bundle.

5. How are bundles and global sections used in applications?

Bundles and global sections have many applications in mathematics and physics. They are used to study the topology and geometry of spaces, as well as to define and understand physical quantities such as vector fields and connections. They also have applications in data analysis and machine learning, where they can be used to represent and analyze complex data sets.