Bunch of Equations and Stoichiometry

In summary, the conversation discusses various questions related to chemistry and solving for density, mass, heat, and formulae using given information. The general equation for density and specific heat are mentioned as helpful tools. The importance of being consistent with measuring systems is also emphasized. The process of finding the number of molecules for different compounds is explained using the given example of 8 atoms of Oxygen.
vague
I'm totally stuck; please if you could get any of these solved so that i can go ahead with the hints and help myself out... It's tragic!
-A cube of redwood 3.00 cm on an edge weighs 11.8 g. What's its density?
-A beaker containing 4.00 x 10^2 cm^3 of a liquid having a density of 1.85 gcm^3 is found to weigh 884 g. What is the mass of the empty beaker?
-4.90 kg of water is heated from 15 to 48 degrees celcius. How much heat is absorbed by the water? In Kilocalories/Kjoles?
-A sample with 7.5x10^21 molecules of Cyclohexane contains 4.5x10^21 carbon atoms and 9.0x10^21 hydrogen atoms. Empirical/Molecular formulae?
-How many moles of Hydrogen atoms are necessary to combine with 7.0x10^-4 mol of Nitrogen atoms to form the compound Ammonia?
-Given eight atoms of Oxygen; how many molecules of the compounds N20, NO, CO2, N204, (any you prefer...) are possible to make?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show that you have made some attempt at your questions, so we can see where you are getting stuck..

I can get you started on the first one. Do you know the general equation for density (related to mass and volume)?
You need to be aware that different measuring systems will yield different answers. Be consistent with your terms (you may need to convert some so they will be in the same measuring system). Your first example is in the cgs system. You are lucky, all the terms are in the same system. Don't assume this will always be the case.

The second question is a little bit more challenging. If you know the formula for density, you should be able to find the mass of the liquid and subtract it from the total mass measured.

As for...

3) There is a formula for E that relates to the specific heat of a substance. This will help you determine the answer
4) That is just too simple, its very straight forward.
5) First, write out the equation then use the ratios to determine how many hydrogen atoms are necessary
6) Obvious.

That was helpful! Thanks.
I thought maybe i could use some hints with 6 and 4...?

(6) Given eight atoms of Oxygen; how many molecules of the compounds N20, NO, CO2, N204, (any you prefer...) are possible to make?
You are given: have 8 atoms of Oxygen.

In the first compound N20 how many Oxygen's are needed per molecule? (one)
How many of that type of molecule can you make? 8/1 = 8

For the third molecule CO2, how many Oxygen's are needed? (two)
How many of that type can you make? 8/2 = 4

Use a similar thought process for the other molecules.

Related to Bunch of Equations and Stoichiometry

What is stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is a branch of chemistry that involves calculating the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in chemical reactions.

What is the purpose of using stoichiometry?

The purpose of using stoichiometry is to determine the amount of reactants needed to produce a certain amount of products in a chemical reaction, as well as to predict the amount of products that will be formed.

How do you balance chemical equations?

To balance a chemical equation, you must ensure that the number of atoms of each element is equal on both sides of the equation. This can be done by adjusting the coefficients in front of each compound.

What is the difference between theoretical yield and actual yield?

Theoretical yield is the amount of product that should be produced according to stoichiometric calculations, while actual yield is the amount of product that is actually obtained in a chemical reaction. Actual yield is often less than theoretical yield due to factors such as incomplete reactions or side reactions.

How is stoichiometry used in everyday life?

Stoichiometry is used in many everyday activities, such as cooking, where the correct ratios of ingredients must be used to produce a desired dish. It is also used in industries such as pharmaceuticals and agriculture to determine the most efficient and cost-effective ways to produce products.