Bullet striking a block on a frictionless surface

In summary: It means you cannot solve the problem assuming conservation of energy. You have to calculate the total energy after the collision, in joules. The total energy is solely kinetic. What does "g" mean in your formula?
Dustinsfl

Homework Statement

A 10g bullet with velocity 1000m/s strikes a 100g block at rest. What is their combined velocity? Can you work the problem with conservation of momentum? Energy?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For conservation of momentum, we have
$$
10g\cdot 1000m/s + 100g\cdot 0m/s = 110gv_f\Rightarrow v_f = \frac{1000}{11}m/s.
$$
How is this done with the conservation of energy? The KE right after impact is ##55g\cdot v_f^2 = ?##
Am I using the 0 PE level of the block? If that is the case, I have ##(m+M)gh=110g\cdot 9.8m/s^2\cdot h##. What is ##h##? I have two unknowns then.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dustinsfl said:

Homework Statement

A 10g bullet with velocity 1000m/s strikes a 100g block at rest. What is their combined velocity? Can you work the problem with conservation of momentum? Energy?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For conservation of momentum, we have
$$
10g\cdot 1000m/s + 100g\cdot 0m/s = 110gv_f\Rightarrow v_f = \frac{1000}{11}m/s.
$$
How is this done with the conservation of energy? The KE right after impact is ##55g\cdot v_f^2 = ?##
Am I using the 0 PE level of the block? If that is the case, I have ##(m+M)gh=110g\cdot 9.8m/s^2\cdot h##. What is ##h##? I have two unknowns then.

Why are you bringing gravity into this? What happens if the block is sliding on a long flat surface after it is struck by the bullet?

What happens to the KE of the bullet after it strikes the block?

What happens to the KE of the block after it is struck by the bullet?

SteamKing said:
Why are you bringing gravity into this? What happens if the block is sliding on a long flat surface after it is struck by the bullet?

What happens to the KE of the bullet after it strikes the block?

What happens to the KE of the block after it is struck by the bullet?

It is an inelastic collision so the KE is ##55gv_f^2## directly after impact. I already stated this though.

Dustinsfl said:

The mechanical energy (kinetic+potential energy) is not conserved. The potential energy does not change, the kinetic energy decreases, as part of the initial energy transforms to heat.

ehild

ehild said:
The mechanical energy (kinetic+potential energy) is not conserved. The potential energy does not change, the kinetic energy decreases, as part of the initial energy transforms to heat.

ehild

How am I supposed to use this information here?

Dustinsfl said:
How am I supposed to use this information here?

It means you cannot solve the problem assuming conservation of energy. You have to calculate the total energy after the collision, in joules. The total energy is solely kinetic. What does "g" mean in your formula?

ehild

Related to Bullet striking a block on a frictionless surface

What is a bullet striking a block on a frictionless surface?

A bullet striking a block on a frictionless surface is a simplified physics scenario in which a bullet (a small, fast-moving projectile) collides with a block (a larger, stationary object) on a surface with no friction or resistance.

What is the purpose of studying this scenario?

Studying this scenario can help scientists better understand the fundamental principles of physics, such as conservation of momentum and energy. It can also be used to model real-world scenarios, such as collisions in space or on icy surfaces.

What factors affect the outcome of a bullet striking a block on a frictionless surface?

The outcome of this scenario can be affected by the mass and velocity of the bullet, the mass and velocity of the block, and the angle and location of the bullet's impact on the block.

What are the possible outcomes of a bullet striking a block on a frictionless surface?

The bullet can either bounce off the block, stick to the block, or pass through the block depending on the relative masses and velocities of the bullet and block. In all cases, the total momentum and energy will be conserved.

How is this scenario different from real-world collisions?

In the real world, there is always some amount of friction or resistance present, which can affect the outcome of a collision. Additionally, objects are rarely perfectly rigid, so they may deform or break upon impact. Other factors such as air resistance and external forces can also play a role in real-world collisions.