Bullet impact force,velocity predicted by ballistic gelatin

In summary, the show presenter on Discovery Science demonstrated how to determine the velocity and impact force of a bullet by using a high-speed camera and analyzing the cross-section of the bubble formed in ballistic gel. However, there may be other more accurate ways of measuring bullet speed, such as using a chronograph. The effectiveness of a bullet is typically determined by its mass and speed.
marellasunny
Aim: To understand the physics(equations) behind this problem.
On the channel 'Discovery Science',a the show-presenter was testing guns.In one of the tests,he fires the gun at a certain distance from a 'BALLISTIC GELATIN'(just a jelly of high viscosity to simulate swine muscle tissue).
The he says,"By using the high-speed camera here,we can tell exactly how far the bullet has traveled through the jelly and hence determine the bullet's velocity and from the cross-section of the bubble inside the jelly,we can determine the impact force of the bullet".
Now,i can't seem to figure out how he can do that!

I can only start off with:
Kinetic energy=work done
,where 'work done=force*penetration depth' is the only thing i can think of.

Thanks!

**I assume there's no other accurate way of calculating the bullet speed,since its almost impossible to measure the velocity of gun recoil to good accuracy*(cons.of momentum)**

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think they're skipping over a lot of explanation in the show you mention, it seems to me there is no great way to know anything quantitative about the bullet's velocity or "impact force" using just ballistics gel. My guess is they might have some general empirical data from known bullets hitting the gel at known speeds, and they can infer some properties based on that.

Measuring bullet speed from a firearm is actually a relatively easy thing to do, all you need is a chronograph: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_chronograph

Mech_Engineer said:
I think they're skipping over a lot of explanation

Too right. The effectiveness of a round is usually determined by using the mass of the bullet and the speed. There are exceptions to that based upon things like armour-piercing capabilities, explosive warheads, etc., but it's normally pretty accurate.

Related to Bullet impact force,velocity predicted by ballistic gelatin

1. How is bullet impact force and velocity predicted by ballistic gelatin?

The process of predicting bullet impact force and velocity using ballistic gelatin involves shooting a bullet into the gelatin block and measuring the distance the bullet travels through the gelatin, as well as the diameter and shape of the wound channel. These measurements are then used to calculate the bullet's impact force and velocity.

2. What is ballistic gelatin and how is it used in forensics and ballistics testing?

Ballistic gelatin is a substance used to simulate the density and consistency of human or animal tissue. It is commonly used in forensics and ballistics testing to simulate the effects of gunshot wounds on the human body, allowing for the prediction of bullet trajectory and damage to tissue.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of bullet impact force and velocity predictions using ballistic gelatin?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of bullet impact force and velocity predictions using ballistic gelatin, including the type of gelatin used, the temperature and humidity of the testing environment, and the angle at which the bullet enters the gelatin block. Additionally, the size and speed of the bullet itself can also impact the results.

4. How does the bullet's composition and design affect its impact force and velocity in ballistic gelatin?

The composition and design of a bullet can greatly influence its impact force and velocity in ballistic gelatin. For example, a heavier bullet will typically have a greater impact force and slower velocity compared to a lighter bullet. Additionally, the shape and design of the bullet can also affect its penetration and wound channel in the gelatin.

5. Are predictions based on ballistic gelatin testing always accurate?

While ballistic gelatin testing can provide valuable insight into the impact force and velocity of a bullet, it is important to note that these predictions are not always 100% accurate. Various external factors, such as the distance of the shot, can affect the results. Therefore, it is important for scientists to use multiple testing methods and consider all possible variables when making predictions based on ballistic gelatin testing.