Building Underwater Coil Gun/Mass Driver: Considerations & Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a coil gun or mass driver in an underwater environment and the effects of water resistance on its firing and power. The speaker also mentions using it as a simulation for weightlessness in space and asks about special considerations for building a coil gun for underwater use, specifically regarding the water's diamagnetic properties affecting the magnetic field. The expert summarizes that water resistance is the main concern and that any potential effects from the water's diamagnetism should be minimal compared to the strength of ferromagnetism.
logickills
I have a question regarding the propagation of ferromagnetic materials via a coil gun or mass driver in an under water environment.

Would the surrounding water effect the firing and or power of the shot. I know the water resistance is one thing to overcome. I was counting on using this more as a simulation for weightlessness of space anyways.

So are their any special considerations when building a coil gun that would be used under water?

Thanks,

Engineering news on Phys.org
Water resistance is THE thing to overcome; it's orders of magnitude greater than air resistance for a given projectile. Consider that even the most energetic rifle bullets will only penetrate water to a depth of a few feet before running out of momentum (assuming they even survive entry intact).

Well you see I expected the water resistance. As I stated I am using this as an example of low gravity environments.

I was more worried about the possibility of the water and it's diamagnetic properties affecting the magnetic field that propels the ferromagnetic slug.

I shouldn't think so. Ferromagnetism is so much stronger than diamagnetism that any possible adverse effects should pretty well disappear in the noise floor.

Related to Building Underwater Coil Gun/Mass Driver: Considerations & Questions

1. What materials are needed to build an underwater coil gun/mass driver?

To build an underwater coil gun/mass driver, you will need a power source, a coil of wire, a capacitor, a projectile, and a launching mechanism. You may also need waterproofing materials and protective casing for the electronics.

2. How does an underwater coil gun/mass driver work?

The coil gun/mass driver uses electromagnetism to accelerate a projectile. When an electric current is passed through the coil of wire, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field then interacts with the projectile, propelling it forward at high speeds.

3. What are the safety considerations when building an underwater coil gun/mass driver?

Safety is a crucial aspect of building an underwater coil gun/mass driver. It is essential to ensure that all electrical components are waterproofed to prevent any accidents. Additionally, proper insulation and grounding techniques should be used to avoid electric shocks. It is also important to follow all safety protocols when handling high-voltage components.

4. How can the efficiency of an underwater coil gun/mass driver be increased?

To increase the efficiency of an underwater coil gun/mass driver, multiple factors need to be considered. These include the size and shape of the coil, the strength of the magnetic field, and the materials used for the projectile. Using a more powerful power source and optimizing the design of the coil can also help improve efficiency.

5. Are there any legal restrictions or regulations for building and using an underwater coil gun/mass driver?

As with any scientific experiment or project, it is essential to check for any local laws or regulations that may apply to building and using an underwater coil gun/mass driver. In some areas, a permit may be required for high-powered electromagnetic devices. Additionally, it is crucial to follow all safety guidelines and obtain necessary approvals before conducting any experiments.