Building Neural Networks with C++

In summary, the person is interested in building a neural network and thinks the potential implications are interesting.
taylrl3
Hello again,

Im trying to build a neural network using C++. Has anyone had a go? I think the potential implications are really interesting and would like to hear about how people might have implemented them. Another general one for anyone.

Technology news on Phys.org
I am very interested in your project. I am no where near that level however I would love to hear updates on how it is going and the progress you make. A professor of mine developed a neural network some years ago dealing with catching sexual predators. He didn't go into much detail about it but he did say that he could not explain why it worked. He spent a lot of time in court because he did a lot of forensic work for local law ( Florida ). He used his own neural network as a tool to catch these sexual predators but he could not use that information in court because he could not explain why it worked. He just knew that it did. What is your goal for your neural network if you don't mind me asking?

I can't envision how a network such as that might work but it seems like an interesting idea. Could this potentially be developed into a tool which could track a persons movements throughout the web, building an identity? I'm sure advertising companies would love such a thing, though the legalities of it not to mention the ethical aspect might be questionable.

I want mine to be able to produce a vector describing the motion of a component of a highly non-linear system.

I believe there are open source or free projects ready to use.

Long ago I tried to implement neural network as part of the bitozoa project. It worked to some extent, but neural network was not learning, but evolving.

No endorsement intended, but some time ago I stored away a download of JavaAI and the book "Practical*Artificial*Intelligence*Programming*in*Java" by Mark Watson in order to poke around with it later, which hasn't happened yet. There is a large section on NNets which might be useful. See the above named section at:
http://www.markwatson.com/opencontent/

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Building Neural Networks with C++

1. What is a neural network?

A neural network is a computational model inspired by the structure and functioning of the human brain. It is composed of layers of interconnected nodes, or artificial neurons, that process and transmit information using mathematical functions. Neural networks are commonly used in fields such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, and data analysis.

2. Why would someone want to build a neural network with C++?

C++ is a high-level programming language that offers a balance between efficiency and flexibility. It allows for low-level control of memory and hardware, making it well-suited for developing efficient neural network algorithms. Additionally, C++ is a popular language in the scientific community and has a wide range of libraries and frameworks for building neural networks.

3. How do you build a neural network with C++?

Building a neural network with C++ involves several steps, including defining the network architecture, initializing the network parameters, training the network on a dataset, and implementing the network for use in applications. There are also various libraries and frameworks available that provide pre-built functions and classes for building neural networks with C++.

4. What are the advantages of building a neural network with C++ over other languages?

One advantage of building a neural network with C++ is its speed and efficiency. C++ is a compiled language, meaning that the code is translated into machine code before execution, resulting in faster processing times. It also allows for low-level optimization, which is crucial for complex neural network algorithms.

Another advantage is the flexibility of C++. It is an object-oriented language, allowing for modularity and code reusability, which can be beneficial for building and maintaining complex neural networks.

5. Are there any challenges to building neural networks with C++?

While C++ offers many advantages in building neural networks, it also has some challenges. One challenge is the steep learning curve, as C++ is a complex language that requires a good understanding of computer science principles. Additionally, debugging and testing can be more challenging in C++, as it is a low-level language with more potential for errors.