Building my resume as a 2nd year undergrad

In summary, the conversation revolved around a second year physics undergrad at UCSB seeking suggestions for getting involved in activities to improve their resume for future research/internships. They mentioned taking extra classes in computer science and machine shop, but were unsure of what opportunities were available for them over the summer, as they needed to be near Sacramento. Another participant in the conversation advised them to not downplay non-physics work experience, as employers are also looking for transferable skills such as teamwork and communication. They also suggested highlighting skills gained from university and extracurricular activities. The conversation ended with a recommendation to consider internships at Lawrence Livermore National Lab and other local companies.
Andrew774
I am a second year physics undergrad at UCSB with a decent gpa (3.65). I am wondering if anyone here has any suggestions of things I should get involved with to improve my resume for future research/internships. As of now I do not have much of anything to put on a resume, besides non-physics summer jobs. I have been taking extra classes like comp sci(python and C++) and machine shop to develop useful internship skills.
I would love to do something physics related over the summer, the only restriction is that I have to be home(near Sacramento). UC Davis would be within driving range, but as a non-Davis student I don't think my chances of getting a research spot there would be too high. I do not want to be idle all summer, but I'm not sure what I could realistically do.
Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm in pretty much the same boat as you, but third year in the UK. The advice I have been given is never to play down non-physics work experience. Employers know you haven't had time to do much as an undergraduate, so if you have physics-based experience, great, but they are also looking for transferable skills like teamwork, communication, time management etc. Try to flesh out these skills from your experience with summer jobs and specify them on your resume.

Also think about specific skills you've gained from being at university in addition to your gpa (learning to use lab equipment, managing deadlines, problem solving etc.), plus any extra-curricular activities you've done such as sports, student societies (I think you call them fraternities?) or just hobbies in general. If you haven't really done any extra-curricular activities at university, this might be something to pursue, as employers want to see that you are a well rounded individual in addition to being academically gifted; your interests help them figure out what sort of person you are.

Your extra classes are great, and already separate you from plenty of other students. Don't be afraid to talk loudly about your strengths. I guess my summary would be to say that I too used to think I had nothing to put on a resume, but in fact, employers are not expecting an undergraduate to have a Nobel prize already! Once you extract the transferable skills you have gained so far, plus the physics-related skills you've learned at university, and your personal attributes, you'll probably find there's more to write about than you first thought.

Finally, as you are looking for ideas for work experience...my California geography is not great, so this might be too far for you, but I know that the Lawrence Livermore National Lab offer internships to undergraduates at their National Ignition Facility and other positions; take a look here https://scholars.llnl.gov/ Also check out local companies to see if they have anything that interests you; it may not be a university research post but an R&D department could still be pretty cool!

Best of luck!

Related to Building my resume as a 2nd year undergrad

1. How important is it to start building my resume as a 2nd year undergraduate?

Building your resume as a 2nd year undergraduate is crucial as it sets the foundation for your future career. It shows potential employers that you are proactive and motivated, and gives you a competitive edge when applying for internships or jobs.

2. What are some ways I can build my resume as a 2nd year undergraduate?

There are many ways to build your resume as a 2nd year undergraduate, such as participating in internships or research opportunities, joining clubs and organizations related to your field of study, volunteering, and taking on leadership roles. You can also attend career fairs and workshops to gain valuable skills and network with professionals in your field.

3. How can I tailor my resume to stand out as a 2nd year undergraduate?

To make your resume stand out as a 2nd year undergraduate, highlight any relevant experiences, skills, and achievements. Use action verbs and specific examples to showcase your contributions and impact. Also, make sure to customize your resume for each job or internship you apply for to show that you have the skills and qualifications they are looking for.

4. Should I include my GPA on my resume as a 2nd year undergraduate?

If your GPA is above a 3.0, it can be beneficial to include it on your resume as a 2nd year undergraduate. However, if your GPA is lower or if the job or internship does not require it, you can choose to leave it off. Focus on highlighting your experiences, skills, and achievements instead.

5. How can I make my resume look professional as a 2nd year undergraduate?

To make your resume look professional as a 2nd year undergraduate, use a clean and organized format, consistent font and font size, and appropriate headings and bullet points. Use professional language and avoid using slang or abbreviations. Also, proofread your resume carefully to ensure there are no errors or typos.