Building a synchrotron light source

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges and limitations of building a compact synchrotron radiation source for researchers with limited resources. The use of superconducting dipole magnets, radio frequency for electron acceleration, and the comparison to the LHC design report are mentioned. The possibility of using an electron linac with an undulator for producing x-rays is also brought up, but it is noted that it would require a large budget and expertise in accelerator physics. The conversation concludes with the suggestion that building a small light source for under a million dollars would be a difficult task.
Varma21
Lately, I've wanted to build a compact source of synchrotron radiation that is accessible to researchers with size and budget constraints. So far, I've managed to outline designs of the superconducting dipole magnets that will be used to keep electrons moving in a ring path within the booster ring and storage ring. In the LINAC injector for the initial electron acceleration, what radio frequency would be best to accelerate electrons in a most efficient manner? I am currently using the LHC design report from in order to aid in my research. Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does "I've wanted to build" mean? It is certainly not a project for your garage.
You don't need superconducting dipole magnets for synchrotron sources - you do not want high field strengths there anyway. And undulators work well with permanent magnets.
Varma21 said:
In the LINAC injector for the initial electron acceleration, what radio frequency would be best to accelerate electrons in a most efficient manner?
Depends on too many other parameters to tell.
Varma21 said:
I am currently using the LHC design report from in order to aid in my research.
The LHC is a proton (and heavy ion) synchrotron. A completely different type of accelerator.

Instead of a synchrotron could I have just an electron linac with an undulator at the end to produce to produce x rays? My goal would be to get the electrons to 20 MeV or more before the electrons get undulated. In the case of a linac, the only magnets i would need are quadrupoles to concentrate the beam.

That can be a nice project for a research institute - with a budget of many millions, and if you are fine with x-rays so soft that they are more in the near UV.

Would a smaller scale light source really cost millions? I really think it would be possible to build a small light source. Michio Kaku built his own betatron as a high schooler.

A betatron is much easier than a synchrotron light source (with useful light output).

Do you have any background in accelerator physics? The LHC is an unusual starting point, as it's mission - and as mfb points out, even the particles it accelerates - is very different than a synchrotron light source's. And if you want it under a million, you need to shave 4 zeros off the price tag.

Related to Building a synchrotron light source

1. What is a synchrotron light source?

A synchrotron light source is a large, circular particle accelerator that produces high-intensity light beams through the acceleration of charged particles. These light beams are used for a variety of scientific applications, including materials analysis, medical imaging, and structural biology.

2. How does a synchrotron light source work?

A synchrotron light source works by accelerating electrons or positrons to nearly the speed of light and then bending their paths using strong magnets. This acceleration and bending process produces high-energy light beams that are tunable and highly focused, making them ideal for a wide range of research studies.

3. What are the benefits of using a synchrotron light source for research?

There are several benefits to using a synchrotron light source for research. These include the ability to produce intense and tunable light beams, high spatial and temporal resolution, and a wide range of energy levels. Additionally, synchrotron light sources allow for non-destructive analysis of samples, making them ideal for studying delicate or valuable materials.

4. How are synchrotron light sources built?

Building a synchrotron light source is a complex and highly specialized process. It involves the construction of a large circular accelerator, as well as the installation of powerful magnets, vacuum systems, and beamlines. The entire process can take several years and requires a team of engineers, physicists, and technicians.

5. What are some current uses of synchrotron light sources?

Synchrotron light sources are used in a wide range of scientific fields, including materials science, chemistry, biology, and medicine. They are used to study the structure and properties of materials, analyze biological samples, and develop new technologies, such as advanced medical imaging techniques. They also have applications in industrial research and development, particularly in the fields of energy and materials engineering.