Building a Storage Loft: Joist Hangers for Concrete and Drywall

In summary, attaching joist hangers to metal studs might not be a good idea because it could lead to the structure coming down.
samfsu
Hello all. I was hoping someone could help me. I am building a storage loft in my garage. The issue that one side is drywall and metal studs. I was thinking that I would attach joist hangers to the concrete wall, then another set into the drywall wall but I wanted to know if the joist hangers into the metal studs would work well? So basically two joist hangers about 3 feet apart with a 20ft joist in each set, one in the concrete wall and the other in the drywall wall.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK. Since the area of your house in this case(garage) in not considered "occupied" you do have some wiggle-room with regards to safety of construction variation.
Although some homeowner polices/municipal codes do not allow this.

In any event, what you described is problematic enough to warrent a professional assessing, on-site, what should be done.

I only say this because one of my brothers is a professional contractor, and will not advise on remodeling without on-site inspection. Should only cost about $100 or free.
Just some thoughts for you and best wishes on your future storage loft!

What are you going to put up there - styrofoam.

Metal stud walls are not bearing walls.
Use a vertical 4x4 for support at the drywall side ansd also support for lateral movement as a minimum. You don't want all that stuff up ther coming down on someones head.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am strongly considering having a contractor come up to either build it or assist. Last thing I need is to have this come down on my cars.

I did think about the 4x4 and will be reinforcing the drywall side with a ledger that i reinforce with 4x4s under and then 4x4s at the midway point spanning the garage.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Hello,

I would suggest using caution when attaching joist hangers to both concrete and drywall walls. Concrete walls are typically strong and stable enough to hold the weight of a storage loft, but drywall walls may not be able to support the same weight. Additionally, attaching joist hangers to metal studs may not provide enough support for the loft.

I would recommend consulting with a structural engineer or a professional contractor to ensure that the loft is safely and securely attached to the walls. They will be able to assess the weight and load-bearing capabilities of the walls and determine the best method for attaching the joist hangers.

In general, it is important to follow building codes and regulations when constructing any type of structure, including a storage loft. This will ensure the safety and stability of the loft and prevent any potential damage to the walls or the loft itself.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your project.

Best,

Related to Building a Storage Loft: Joist Hangers for Concrete and Drywall

1. What materials are needed to build a storage loft with joist hangers?

To build a storage loft with joist hangers, you will need joist hangers, lumber for the joists, concrete screws, a drill, a level, a measuring tape, a saw, and safety equipment.

2. Can joist hangers be used for both concrete and drywall?

Yes, joist hangers can be used for both concrete and drywall. However, you will need different types of screws for each material, so be sure to check the manufacturer's instructions for the appropriate screws to use.

3. How do I properly attach joist hangers to concrete?

To attach joist hangers to concrete, you will need to use concrete screws. First, mark the locations for the hangers on the concrete using a level and measuring tape. Then, use a drill to create pilot holes for the screws. Finally, screw the hangers into place using the appropriate screws for concrete.

4. Can I use joist hangers for any size loft?

Joist hangers come in a variety of sizes to accommodate different joist sizes. Be sure to select the appropriate size for your specific loft dimensions. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's weight limit recommendations for the hangers.

5. Are joist hangers necessary for building a storage loft?

While it is possible to build a storage loft without using joist hangers, they provide added stability and support for the structure. It is recommended to use joist hangers for any loft that will be holding a significant amount of weight.