Building a Small Boat: Tips & Advice

In summary, the conversation discusses the requirements for an experiment involving building a boat with certain specifications such as smaller dimensions, minimum mass, and restrictions on materials. Various suggestions and tips are given, including using aluminum flashing or paper treated with water repellant spray, researching ship designs, and constructing a simple box or using sheet styrene plastic. The boat is also expected to hold 20 times its own mass, which will determine the appropriate dimensions.
nicoleguevara
Hello, I have recently been given an experiment, where i will need to build a boat.
The requirements are ° the boat must have dimensions smaller than 8in x 8 in
° have a mass minimum of 25.0 grams
°the weights when loaded into the boat must be open to air
°NO commercially produced beverage containers,Styrofoam containers,or
boxes may be used
I need some tips and advice,please help

Physics news on Phys.org
You could use aluminum flashing to build a boat. You'd have to cut it and seal the joints with caulking material but you could design a really cool boat with it.

Alternatively you could use paper and spray it with some water repellant spray:

http://shoestores.com/shoe/HDWATERREPEL/Kiwi

or

http://www.businessinsider.com/this...-most-incredible-things-weve-ever-seen-2013-7

You could investigate ship designs and create a model patterned after one like the tumbledown design:

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2012-08/ocean-power

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not clear how much you expect the boat to carry. In any event, you can make a simple box which will float.

You can fabricate the hull out of sheet styrene plastic which can be cut and glued together. If the hull needs local strengthening, you can construct internal framing from styrene sections.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/evergreen_model_scratch_building_plastic_supplies

Done right, you can make a fairly sturdy hull without too much effort.

the boat needs to be able to hold 20 times its own mass

Last edited:
You'll have to use this criterion to decide on the proper dimensions of your bote. (bote is the informal of boat)

thanks everyone :)

Related to Building a Small Boat: Tips & Advice

1. How do I choose the right materials for building a small boat?

The materials you choose will depend on the type of boat you want to build and your budget. Some common materials used for building small boats include wood, fiberglass, and aluminum. It's important to consider factors like weight, durability, and cost when selecting materials.

2. What tools will I need to build a small boat?

The tools you need will vary depending on the complexity of your boat design, but some essentials include a saw, hammer, drill, measuring tools, and sandpaper. You may also need specialized tools for cutting and shaping materials like fiberglass or metal.

3. How can I ensure the structural integrity of my small boat?

To ensure your boat is structurally sound, it's important to carefully follow the plans or instructions for your specific design. Use high-quality materials and pay attention to details like the placement of joints and connections. It's also a good idea to have your boat inspected by a professional before taking it out on the water.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when building a small boat?

Some common mistakes to avoid include using inferior materials, not following the plans or instructions closely enough, and rushing through the building process. It's also important to carefully sand and seal your boat to prevent leaks and damage from water.

5. How can I make my small boat more efficient and functional?

To make your small boat more efficient, you can consider adding features like a rudder or keel to improve its stability and steering. You can also experiment with different weight distributions and hull shapes to find the best design for your specific needs. Additionally, regularly maintaining and cleaning your boat can also help improve its performance.