Building a physics formula database -- Help please

In summary, I'm looking to compile a large online database of physics formulas*. I have yet to find any comprehensive "physics list" that isn't too domain specific or simply scalable. My attempt will be to build it here newtondb.com following and expanding on pldb.com. It will be built using a treebase language and will compile to a simple CSV.Thanks for your help!
angrymonks
I'm looking to compile a large online database of physics formulas*. I have yet to find any comprehensive "physics list" that isn't too domain specific or simply scalable. My attempt will be to build it here newtondb.com following and expanding on pldb.com. It will be built using a treebase language and will compile to a simple CSV.

I'd love to hear feedback and looking to collaborate. Just shoot me a message.

*variables, objects, formulas, experiments and everything in between

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Have you seen this website?

https://phys.libretexts.org/Learning_Objects/A_Physics_Formulary/Physics

Its not comprehensive but may illustrate the difficulties you will face with some formulas being derived from other more general formulas and you would need to account for that.
Thanks!

I have come across that site. Physics.info is another good one as well. Yes, representing the variables in relation to each other is going to be a challenge but I suppose that the fun of it.

This task reminds me of someone who suggested creating a database or lexicon for differential equation systems. After a quite short process of thinking I came to the conclusion that this would be a task for several volumes. Strictly speaking, your goal will be included in those books since formulas in physics are almost automatically differential equations or systems thereof. Long story short, I think this is a Sisyphus task.

Likes Vanadium 50, angrymonks and jedishrfu
jedishrfu said:
I looked at your two sites. They look pretty sweet.

Is pldb your site or someone else's project?

How did you find Mike Colishaw and Bill Ousterhout?

I was thinking if you want to get into more recent software language interviews there's the folks who designed Julia, Jeff Bezanson, Stefan Karpinski, Viral B. Shah, and Alan Edelman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_(programming_language)
Thank you 😊

pldb is the brainchild of my good friend Breck Yunits. I join him about a year ago. I simply reached out to a couple of the major programming language designers to get feedback and insight. I’d love do get the Julia folks involved.

fresh_42 said:
This task reminds me of someone who suggested creating a database or lexicon for differential equation systems. After a quite short process of thinking I came to the conclusion that this would be a task for several volumes. Strictly speaking, your goal will be included in those books since formulas in physics are almost automatically differential equations or systems thereof. Long story short, I think this is a Sisyphus task.

That I agree with. Just trying to get the ball rolling is all (no pun intended). If the effort is open source and easily scalable then I believe it to be worth while.

Another place to take inspiration from is MathWorld. Perhaps you could reach out and interview him as well. His name is Eric Weisstein.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_W._Weisstein

https://mathworld.wolfram.com/

He had quite an experience building his site math site. One stumbling block was a deal he made with CRC that turned into a nightmare. Later Wolfram came to the rescue and now his site is maintained under their protective umbrella.

This is another thought to be taken into consideration. Such an enterprise would have to basically almost copy the entire physics part of Wikipedia, across at least six languages (English, French, Russian, German, Spanish, Italian). These alone are really many, I mean, many formulas.

Likes jedishrfu
jedishrfu said:
Another place to take inspiration from is MathWorld. Perhaps you could reach out and interview him as well. His name is Eric Weisstein.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_W._Weisstein

https://mathworld.wolfram.com/

He had quite an experience building his site math site. One stumbling block was a deal he made with CRC that turned into a nightmare. Later Wolfram came to the rescue and now his site is maintained under their protective umbrella.
Sweet! He'd be a perfect candidate to interview.

Related to Building a physics formula database -- Help please

What is a physics formula database?

A physics formula database is a collection of mathematical equations and formulas that are used to describe and predict physical phenomena. It is a valuable tool for scientists and engineers to use in their research and experiments.

Why is it important to have a physics formula database?

Having a physics formula database allows for easy access to a wide range of equations and formulas that are essential for understanding and solving complex problems in the field of physics. It also helps to ensure accuracy and consistency in calculations.

How can I contribute to building a physics formula database?

You can contribute to building a physics formula database by adding new formulas, verifying the accuracy of existing ones, and providing feedback or suggestions for improvement. You can also share your knowledge and expertise in a specific area of physics to help expand the database.

What are some challenges in building a physics formula database?

One of the main challenges in building a physics formula database is ensuring the accuracy and completeness of the formulas included. It can also be a time-consuming process to gather and organize all the necessary information. Additionally, there may be discrepancies or variations in formulas used by different sources, which can make it difficult to determine the most reliable version.

How can a physics formula database benefit the scientific community?

A physics formula database can benefit the scientific community by providing a centralized and reliable resource for accessing a wide range of equations and formulas. It can also help to streamline research and experimentation processes, as well as facilitate collaboration and knowledge sharing among scientists and engineers.