Building a mousetrap vehicle which executes a 180 degree turn

In summary: No team member may interact with the vehicle at any time"I would suggest tracking the distance traveled with a string. At the appropriate moments, you change your steering to a fixed angle, then back.
arjohnson
For class, a partner and myself must build a mousetrap vehicle which travels down a runway (120 inches), executes a 180 degree turn around an obstacle(72 inch maximum width) and travels back past the finish line. http://www.geneng.mtu.edu/olympics/2010/mousecar_competition_b2010.pdf click here for more details/diagrams.

The number of mouse traps is unlimited (they must however, be standard sized victor mousetraps), the car must be self contained, and it cannot be touched at any point after it is released. The track borders are designated with tape, so no chance of just running it into the wall and hope it keeps going, haha.

Would making the car jointed help make the turn?

We had originally thought that we could use opposing mousetraps to help make the turn, but after some thought, realized that it would only reverse the car, not make it continue in a parabolic path.

We are at a loss, and have searched the internet, but have been unable to find any designs or tips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your path looks semicircular, not parabolic. This makes it easier in some respect. I would suggest keeping track of the distance you have traveled (perhaps with a winding string). At the appropriate moments, you change your steering to a fixed angle, then back. I realize that's pretty vague and general, but I think the idea of a competition like this is to just use your imagination and have fun seeing what can work.

schlunk said:
Your path looks semicircular, not parabolic. This makes it easier in some respect. I would suggest keeping track of the distance you have traveled (perhaps with a winding string). At the appropriate moments, you change your steering to a fixed angle, then back. I realize that's pretty vague and general, but I think the idea of a competition like this is to just use your imagination and have fun seeing what can work.

Semicircular was actually the word I was going for, thank you. I just can't figure out how to make the car make the appropriate turns at the appropriate times, seeing as "no team member may interact with the vehicle at any time".

schlunk said:
I would suggest keeping track of the distance you have traveled (perhaps with a winding string). At the appropriate moments, you change your steering to a fixed angle, then back.

read again.

I would suggest approaching this challenge by first understanding the basic principles of motion and energy. A mousetrap vehicle is powered by the potential energy stored in the spring of the mousetrap. In order to execute a 180 degree turn, the vehicle must have enough energy to overcome the forces of friction and inertia that will resist its change in direction.

One possible solution could be to design the vehicle with a longer wheelbase and a wider base, which would increase its stability and make it less likely to tip over during the turn. Additionally, incorporating a joint in the design could potentially help the vehicle make a smoother turn by allowing it to pivot at the center.

Another approach could be to use a combination of different sized wheels, with larger wheels at the front and smaller wheels at the back. This would create a differential in the vehicle's movement, causing it to turn in the desired direction.

Furthermore, experimenting with different placement and angles of the mousetraps could also impact the vehicle's movement and help it make the turn. For example, placing one mousetrap at a slight angle to the direction of travel could provide a slight steering effect.

It may also be helpful to consider the weight distribution of the vehicle and how it affects its movement. By strategically placing weights at certain points, you could potentially influence the vehicle's turning ability.

In conclusion, building a mousetrap vehicle that can execute a 180 degree turn requires careful consideration of various factors such as energy, stability, and weight distribution. By understanding these principles and experimenting with different designs and configurations, you can increase the chances of successfully completing the challenge. Good luck!

Related to Building a mousetrap vehicle which executes a 180 degree turn

1. How do I determine the best design for my mousetrap vehicle to execute a 180 degree turn?

The best design for a mousetrap vehicle to execute a 180 degree turn will depend on various factors such as the weight and size of the vehicle, the surface it will be running on, and the strength of the mousetrap. It is recommended to experiment with different designs and make adjustments until the desired turn is achieved.

2. What materials should I use to build a mousetrap vehicle that can make a 180 degree turn?

The materials used to build a mousetrap vehicle should be lightweight, yet sturdy. Some common materials used include balsa wood, cardboards, straws, and rubber bands. It is important to also consider the weight of the materials and how they will affect the overall performance of the vehicle.

3. How can I increase the speed and distance of my mousetrap vehicle while still being able to execute a 180 degree turn?

To increase the speed and distance of a mousetrap vehicle, you can experiment with different types of wheels, reduce friction by adding lubricants, and make sure the vehicle is well balanced. It is also important to properly wind the mousetrap and adjust the trigger mechanism for optimal performance.

4. Can I make a mousetrap vehicle that can execute a 180 degree turn on different surfaces?

Yes, it is possible to build a mousetrap vehicle that can execute a 180 degree turn on different surfaces. However, the design and materials used may need to be adjusted depending on the surface. For example, a vehicle that works well on a smooth surface may not perform as well on a rough surface.

5. How can I ensure that my mousetrap vehicle consistently executes a 180 degree turn?

Consistency in performance can be achieved by carefully measuring and aligning the components of the mousetrap vehicle, such as the wheels and trigger mechanism. It is also important to make sure the vehicle is not too heavy or too light, as this can affect its performance. Regular testing and adjustments may also be necessary to maintain consistent results.