Building a 5 Wire Servo Controller

In summary, the 5-wire servo motor has three unknown connections: power, ground, and a signal. The circuit in the datasheet describes how to use the servo to control an application circuit. It's possible to make a basic controller with a PIC uC.
seang
Hi,

I am supposed to build a controller for a 5 wire servo. I'm having trouble finding information online that appeals to electrical engineering folks.

What are the 5 wires? I suspect there is power and ground, but that leaves 3 unknown connections :eek:

I have a basic understanding of servomotors (though, by no means complete), to the point where I can get a handle on the application circuit in the following datasheet:

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/MitsubishiElectricCorporation/mXyyzzzr.pdf

Maybe someone can help me understand what the 5 connections are in terms of the above circuit? Do you think it would be possible to make a basic controller with a PIC uC?

I know this post is kinda vague, so thanks for any thoughts or help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The five wire motor is a stepper motor. It's composed of a number of electromagnets that have to be activated in sequence to rotate the shaft. And you need a special driver for that too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepper_motor

Hmm, I don't think it's a stepper. From my experience, you can usually turn a stepper in your hand without much physical resistance. You don't get that dynamo charging sound like you do when you turn a servo. (I get the servo sound, on this one.)

seang said:
Hmm, I don't think it's a stepper. From my experience, you can usually turn a stepper in your hand without much physical resistance. You don't get that dynamo charging sound like you do when you turn a servo. (I get the servo sound, on this one.)

Never mind, forgot some servo motors have error correction for a feedback loop.

I think I might give up on this one. The servos are part of an xyz stage, which is supposed to come with a controller (both the stage and controller are made by the same company). Well, the controller has been missing for many years.

My thought is that the interface is somewhat proprietary; they probably don't want you to figure this one out ;). Thoughts on this?

The 5-wire synchro-resolvers ("servos") I have used had two wires for ac power and return, and the other three wires transmitted/received a 3-phase angular position signal to/from the other synchro. Either synchro could be used as a sender, and the other as a sender. We would put a hand crank on one and the other synchro would follow. I have never used more than two connected together.

Edit: These units were also called selsyns. See Figure 2 in this for wiring diagram:
http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-051.htm

Last edited:

Related to Building a 5 Wire Servo Controller

1. What is a 5 wire servo controller?

A 5 wire servo controller is an electronic device that is used to control the movement and position of servo motors, which are commonly used in robotics and other mechanical systems. It has 5 wires connected to it, which allow it to receive signals and send commands to the servo motor.

2. How does a 5 wire servo controller work?

A 5 wire servo controller works by receiving a signal from a microcontroller or other control device, which tells it the desired position of the servo motor. The controller then sends a corresponding signal to the servo motor, which adjusts its position accordingly. This process happens continuously, allowing for precise and controlled movement of the servo motor.

3. What are the advantages of using a 5 wire servo controller?

One of the main advantages of using a 5 wire servo controller is its ability to precisely control the movement and position of servo motors. It also allows for easy integration with other electronic systems, making it a popular choice for robotics and other mechanical applications. Additionally, 5 wire servo controllers are typically compact and lightweight, making them ideal for use in small or portable devices.

4. How do I choose the right 5 wire servo controller for my project?

When choosing a 5 wire servo controller, it is important to consider factors such as the operating voltage and current, the number of channels or servo motors it can control, and its compatibility with your control device. It is also a good idea to research different brands and read reviews to find a reliable and high-quality controller.

5. Can I build my own 5 wire servo controller?

Yes, it is possible to build your own 5 wire servo controller. However, it requires knowledge of electronics and programming, as well as the necessary components and tools. It is recommended to follow a tutorial or guide, and to carefully test and troubleshoot the controller before using it in a project.