Build Transformer: 110V-1V, 2 Electrodes | DIY

In summary: I offended you in any way. I just wanted to know if it was possible to build one.In summary, it is not possible to build an adjustable transformer that can take 110/120 and dial it all the way down to 1 volt.
cheezey8
Is it possible to build an adjustable transformer that can take 110/120 and dial it all the way down to 1 volt? I'd like to build one if possible to aid in physical development so it's very important to be able to take it as low as possible in the beginning. I'd like it to have 2 electrodes as well.

Engineering news on Phys.org
cheezey8 said:
Is it possible to build an adjustable transformer that can take 110/120 and dial it all the way down to 1 volt? I'd like to build one if possible to aid in physical development so it's very important to be able to take it as low as possible in the beginning. I'd like it to have 2 electrodes as well.

The variable transformer search term is "variac". That will give you info on a variable autotransformer.

However, it sounds like you would like to use this for medical experimentation purposes, which would be totally inappropriate and dangerous if you use a simple variac. Could you please tell us more about the application, and about your background in EE and medical electronics? Are you familiar with the guidelines in UL 544?

berkeman said:
The variable transformer search term is "variac". That will give you info on a variable autotransformer.

However, it sounds like you would like to use this for medical experimentation purposes, which would be totally inappropriate and dangerous if you use a simple variac. Could you please tell us more about the application, and about your background in EE and medical electronics? Are you familiar with the guidelines in UL 544?

I have absolutely no background in EE or Medical Electronics. The only electrical training I've had is on the job electrical installation. Nothing major, secondary electrical. If it helps, I'm very mechanical.

Now here's the part where I hope I don't get laughed off the forum.

The application is for stimulating acupuncture points. Running a very small current in the beginning to open chi meridians and also to induce the piezoelectric effect in the bones as well. My training is in medical qigong and taoist qiqong. I hope this helps.

You may be looking for low voltage power supplies. These give you safe DC from 0 to 15 volts. There are plenty of these around if you look on Google.

Another device is the multi-output wall wart.
These give you DC in a range of outputs like 4.5 V, 6 V, 7.5 V, 9 V, 12 V etc.
They are intended to run electronic equipment.

At least these devices are isolated from the 120 V supply, but I doubt the safety of applying even these low voltages to needles inserted in flesh. Ouch.

Once an electrode breaks the surface of the skin the internal resistance of the body is quite low. Not only do you need to use low voltages but the electrodes also need to be current limited.

Have you considered your potential liability if something were to go wrong? How would a jury react to your statement, "I have absolutely no background in EE or Medical Electronics. The only electrical training I've had is on the job electrical installation. Nothing major, secondary electrical. If it helps, I'm very mechanical."

skeptic2 said:
Once an electrode breaks the surface of the skin the internal resistance of the body is quite low. Not only do you need to use low voltages but the electrodes also need to be current limited.

Have you considered your potential liability if something were to go wrong? How would a jury react to your statement, "I have absolutely no background in EE or Medical Electronics. The only electrical training I've had is on the job electrical installation. Nothing major, secondary electrical. If it helps, I'm very mechanical."

I'm not penetrating the skin with it.

A jury won't ever react to that statement because the only mishap would be upon myself. I'm not using this on anyone else. I also know how to apply safety features so that I don't kill myself or permamently injure myself.

vk6kro said:
You may be looking for low voltage power supplies. These give you safe DC from 0 to 15 volts. There are plenty of these around if you look on Google.

Another device is the multi-output wall wart.
These give you DC in a range of outputs like 4.5 V, 6 V, 7.5 V, 9 V, 12 V etc.
They are intended to run electronic equipment.

At least these devices are isolated from the 120 V supply, but I doubt the safety of applying even these low voltages to needles inserted in flesh. Ouch.

I'm going to check out both options. Thank you.
Lol I'm not going to issue any voltage to anything in the skin. I just used the term acupuncture for the meridian lines and points.

cheezey8 said:
I'm going to check out both options. Thank you.
Lol I'm not going to issue any voltage to anything in the skin. I just used the term acupuncture for the meridian lines and points.

What you are doing is still dangerous, especially since you are not very knowledgeable yet electronics or medical electronics. I would discourage you from trying to make something on your own -- look into buying a unit that carries a UL medical electronics certification.

Thread locked.

Related to Build Transformer: 110V-1V, 2 Electrodes | DIY

What is a transformer and how does it work?

A transformer is an electrical device that is used to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another through the process of electromagnetic induction. It consists of two or more coils of insulated wire called "windings". When an alternating current (AC) is passed through one winding, it creates a changing magnetic field which induces a voltage in the other winding. This allows for the conversion of high voltage to low voltage or vice versa.

What is the purpose of a 110V-1V transformer?

A 110V-1V transformer is used to step down the voltage from 110V to 1V. This is useful for applications that require a lower voltage, such as small electronic devices or low power circuits. It also helps to isolate the circuit from the high voltage source, providing safety and protection.

What are the two electrodes used for in this transformer?

The two electrodes in this transformer are used to connect the primary and secondary windings. The primary winding is connected to the power source and the secondary winding is connected to the load. The electrodes allow for the transfer of energy between the two windings.

Can I build this transformer myself?

Yes, it is possible to build this transformer yourself with the right tools and knowledge. However, it is important to note that working with electricity can be dangerous and should only be done by those with proper training and safety precautions in place.

What are some safety precautions to keep in mind when building this transformer?

When building this transformer, it is important to always work with insulated tools and wear protective gear such as gloves and goggles. Make sure to disconnect the power source before working on the transformer and use a multimeter to check for any potential hazards. It is also important to follow proper wiring and insulation techniques to prevent any electrical accidents.