Build Custom Telescope Mount: Tips & Advice

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Physicsisfun2005
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary, the speaker found an old Meade 8" F/10 SCT telescope at their observatory without a mount. They are hesitant to ask for a new one due to budget constraints. They are looking for advice on building their own mount or using the telescope as an alt-azimuth instrument. If the telescope has a computerized drive, it can track but not for astrophotography, and a wedge is needed for polar alignment. The speaker is unsure if the built-in motors still work.
Physicsisfun2005
alright...i have no experience with this...kinda weird i don't to think of it...anyways at the observatory i work at i was going though a closet and behold I find a Meade 8" F/10 SCT...it seems to be an older model b/c it just says LX on it...not even "LX200" or something like that plus it looks like it has a pre-LX200 classic control panel...anyways it doesn't have a mount/tripod...and i don't want to lobby the director to buy one b/c we run a tight budget (we are geting a new CCD camera from SBIG mmmm...mouth watering). I was wondering if anyone knows a good site for making ur own mount/tripod or if u have any tips that would be great. also will i need to get a wedge for it...since it seems a lot of the old SCT's have them?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If the fork mount is OK, and you don't mind using it as an alt-azimuth instrument, you can build a sturdy wooden tripod and have at it. If it has a computerized drive that will work in Alt-az configuration, it should even track acceptibly, although field rotation will limit any astrophotography to snap shots. If it has non-computerized drives, or if you want to do any imaging, you will have to polar-align the scope before it will rotate at the proper rate to keep objects centered in the field, and prevent field rotation. This is where the wedge comes in. You align and adjust the wedge to point the forks directly at celestial north.

thanx...i'm not sure if the built in motors still work...i will have to try to fire them up

Related to Build Custom Telescope Mount: Tips & Advice

What materials are needed to build a custom telescope mount?

To build a custom telescope mount, you will need a sturdy base material such as wood or metal, screws and bolts, a drill, a saw, and various tools for measuring and cutting. You may also need additional materials such as ball bearings, gears, or motors depending on the design of your mount.

What are some important factors to consider when designing a custom telescope mount?

Some important factors to consider when designing a custom telescope mount are the weight and size of the telescope, the type of movement needed (e.g. altitude-azimuth or equatorial), and the level of stability and precision required. It is also important to consider the materials and tools you have available for the build.

Are there any specific tips for building a stable and sturdy custom telescope mount?

To ensure stability and sturdiness in your custom telescope mount, it is important to use high-quality materials, such as solid wood or metal, and to reinforce any joints or connections with strong screws or bolts. Additionally, carefully balancing the weight of the telescope on the mount and minimizing any potential sources of vibration can improve stability.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when building a custom telescope mount?

Some common mistakes to avoid when building a custom telescope mount include not properly measuring and aligning the mount components, using low-quality or weak materials, and not taking into account the weight and balance of the telescope. It is also important to carefully follow any instructions or design plans to ensure a successful build.

Are there any additional tips or advice for building a custom telescope mount?

It is recommended to research and gather as much information as possible before starting your build, such as learning about different types of telescope mounts and their pros and cons. It is also important to take your time and be patient during the build process, as it may require trial and error to achieve the desired stability and functionality. Additionally, considering the portability and storage of the mount may also be important factors to keep in mind.