Build a Solar Panel with TIO2 for Your Science Fair Project

In summary, the conversation discusses the interest in creating a solar panel using TIO2 dye-sensitized solar cells for a science fair project. The person asks for help and someone suggests using a resource that covers the topic in detail. The idea of a spray-coating that can instantly grow epitaxial SiO2 layers on a conductor in a clean-room environment is also mentioned, which could potentially lead to "spray-on" silicon solar cells. The person then mentions their desire to apply this technology to an electric-powered scooter for extended battery life.
grade10
I am interested in making solar panel with TIO2 dye-sensitized solar cells for science fair.
Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Google HOW TO MAKE SOLAR CELLS .

I found, for example:
http://voh.chem.ucla.edu/classes/Solar_cells/pdf/Student_Solar.pdf

which appears to cover exactly what you want with TI02...

It'd be neat to create a spray-coating that instantly grows epitaxial SiO2 layers as you spray it on a conductor in a clean-room environment, lending to "spray-on" silicon solar cells.
I'd like to do something like this for an electric-powered scooter (around 250-350W electric motor and a 32Vdc LION battery). Just make the scooter and spray the stuff on as if a spraypaint or something.
I can drive around all day without recharging the darn thing! :) :) :)

Related to Build a Solar Panel with TIO2 for Your Science Fair Project

1. How does a solar panel made with TIO2 work?

TIO2, or titanium dioxide, is a semiconductor material that has the ability to generate electricity when exposed to sunlight. When light hits the TIO2, it excites electrons, allowing them to flow and create an electric current. This current can then be harnessed and used to power devices.

2. What materials do I need to build a solar panel with TIO2?

To build a solar panel with TIO2, you will need TIO2 nanoparticles, a conductive glass substrate, a transparent conductive layer (such as indium tin oxide), a dye sensitizer, an electrolyte solution, and wires for connecting the panel to a device.

3. How do I assemble the solar panel with TIO2?

The first step is to prepare the conductive glass substrate by coating it with the transparent conductive layer. Next, the TIO2 nanoparticles are mixed with the dye sensitizer and spread onto the conductive layer. The panel is then sealed with the electrolyte solution and wires are attached to the conductive layer to transfer the electricity.

4. What factors affect the efficiency of a solar panel with TIO2?

The efficiency of a solar panel with TIO2 can be affected by the amount and type of dye sensitizer used, the thickness of the TIO2 layer, the intensity and angle of sunlight, and the quality of the electrolyte solution. It is important to carefully follow the instructions and experiment with different variables to optimize the efficiency of your panel.

5. What are the advantages of using TIO2 in a solar panel?

TIO2 is a cost-effective and environmentally friendly material that can be easily obtained. It also has a high stability and can withstand harsh weather conditions. Additionally, TIO2 can be used to create flexible and transparent solar panels, making it a versatile material for various applications.