Bug on a hinged square metal frame

In summary: How did you choose the signs of the various terms in your equation of motion? Let's look at the force on the bug. The bug moves toward the right, so ##\dot{x}## is positive when the bug is moving to the right. The frictional force ##f## is always negative. So the acceleration of the bug ##\ddot{x}## is negative when the bug is moving to the right.Your equation is$$-m\ddot{x}=-f=N'(x/l-2-\sqrt{2}a/l)$$The term ##x/l## is positive when ##x## is positive, and negative when ##
Saitama

Homework Statement

A square metal frame in the vertical plane is hinged at O at its centre as shown in the figure. A bug moves along the rod PN which is at a distance ##l## from the hinge, such that the whole frame is always stationary, even though the frame is free to rotate in the vertical plane about the hinge. Then, the motion of the bug is simple harmonic with the time period

A)##2\pi\sqrt{l/g}##

B)##2\pi\sqrt{2l/g}##

C)##2\pi\sqrt{4l/g}##

D)##2\pi\sqrt{l/(2g)}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There are two forces acting on the frame, friction (f, along PN) and normal reaction due to bug (N', vertically downwards). Since the frame must not rotate, ##fl=N'(\sqrt{2}a-2l-x) \Rightarrow f=N'(\sqrt{2}a/l-2-x/l)##, where ##x## is the displacement of bug from P and ##a## is the side length of square frame.

The bug moves from P to N and the frictional force on bug is directed from N to P. Applying Newton's second law on bug, ##m\ddot{x}=-f=N'(x/l-2-\sqrt{2}a/l)##. This doesn't turn out to be SHM. :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• hinged square.png
    hinged square.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 398
Physics news on Phys.org
It might be nicer to let ##x## be measured horizontally from the midpoint of PN.

What force acts on the bug to accelerate the bug? What does this tell you about the magnitude of ##f## acting on the rod? [Edit: Sorry. At second glance, it looks like you have already answered this.]

What can you say about the magnitude of the Normal force N'?

Last edited:
TSny said:
It might be nicer to let ##x## be measured horizontally from the midpoint of PN.
What's wrong with my ##x##? :confused:

I get these equations according to your ##x##:
$$f=\frac{N'x}{l}$$
$$-m\ddot{x}=-f \Rightarrow m\ddot{x}=\frac{N'x}{l}$$
What can you say about the magnitude of the Normal force N'?
It's mg. :)

There's nothing wrong with your ##x##, you'll still get SHM. But I think you'll see why choosing the origin in the middle of the rod makes the expressions simpler.

You almost have it. What would need to be changed in your equation for ##\ddot{x}## to get SHM. Can you justify the needed change? (Hint: Does your symbol ##f## stand for the force that the bug exerts on the frame, or the force that the frame exerts on the bug?)

TSny said:
What would need to be changed in your equation for ##\ddot{x}## to get SHM. Can you justify the needed change?

I am not sure but I got the LHS in the following manner:
$$F=m\frac{d^2}{dt^2}\left(\frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}-l-x\right)$$
Let the terms inside the parentheses be ##u##. Since ##u## decreases with time, I have to place a minus sign i.e
$$F=-m\ddot{u}$$
Am I correct?

Pranav-Arora said:
I am not sure but I got the LHS in the following manner:
$$F=m\frac{d^2}{dt^2}\left(\frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}-l-x\right)$$

If ##x## is the position of the bug relative to the origin at the center of the rod, how do you express the acceleration ##a_x##? I don't understand why you wrote ##\frac{d^2}{dt^2}\left(\frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}-l-x\right)##.

To get the signs right, draw a picture with the bug at some arbitrary positive value of ##x##. Decide which way the friction ##f## must act on the rod. What does that tell you about the direction of the friction force on the bug?

It is simpler with the torque equation: The torque of the external force is equal to the time derivative of the angular momentum of the system. The torque is from the weight of the bug; the angular momentum changes as the bug moves.

ehild

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
It is simpler with the torque equation: The torque of the external force is equal to the time derivative of the angular momentum of the system. The torque is from the weight of the bug; the angular momentum changes as the bug moves.

ehild

Yes, that's a very nice way to do it.

TSny said:
If ##x## is the position of the bug relative to the origin at the center of the rod, how do you express the acceleration ##a_x##? I don't understand why you wrote ##\frac{d^2}{dt^2}\left(\frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}-l-x\right)##.

To get the signs right, draw a picture with the bug at some arbitrary positive value of ##x##. Decide which way the friction ##f## must act on the rod. What does that tell you about the direction of the friction force on the bug?

The bug moves from P to N. Let ##u## be the distance between point P and bug at time ##t##. Then, acceleration of bug is ##d^2u/dt^2##. Since we measure ##x## horizontally from hinge, ##u## is related with ##x## by
$$u=\frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}-l-x$$
Differentiating twice wrt time,
$$\ddot{u}=-\ddot{x}$$.
So from Newton's second law,
$$m\ddot{u}=-f \Rightarrow m\ddot{x}=f$$
:confused:

Please tell me if anything is still unclear.

ehild said:

ehild

Hi ehild! :)

This is what I did:

The torque on bug about the hinge is ##fl##. Since the friction acts along NP, the frictional torque is clockwise. The magnitude of angular momentum of bug is ##L=mvl## where ##v## is the velocity of bug at any instant. Since ##dL/dt## is anticlockwise, we have
$$-fl=\frac{dL}{dt} \Rightarrow -fl=ml\frac{du}{dt} \Rightarrow m\ddot{x}=f$$
I still end up with the sign problem. :(

Pranav-Arora said:
The bug moves from P to N. Let ##u## be the distance between point P and bug at time ##t##. Then, acceleration of bug is ##d^2u/dt^2##. Since we measure ##x## horizontally from hinge, ##u## is related with ##x## by
$$u=\frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}-l-x$$

We must not be defining ##x## in the same way. I am thinking of an x-axis running along the rod PN with origin ##x=0## at the midpoint of the rod. Positive x is toward the right. As ##x## increases, the bug moves farther away from P.

Sorry for not understanding your definition of ##x##.

TSny said:
We must not be defining ##x## in the same way. I am thinking of an x-axis running along the rod PN with origin ##x=0## at the midpoint of the rod. Positive x is toward the right. As ##x## increases, the bug moves farther away from P.

I am still confused with the signs. :(

I am going with your definition of ##x##. Let the length of rod be ##k##. Then, the displacement of bug from P is given by ##s=k-x## and acceleration of bug is hence ##d^2s/dt^2##. Am I right so far?

Attachments

• bug on frame.png
    bug on frame.png
    6 KB · Views: 387
Pranav-Arora said:
I am still confused with the signs. :(

I am going with your definition of ##x##. Let the length of rod be ##k##. Then, the displacement of bug from P is given by ##s=k-x## and acceleration of bug is hence ##d^2s/dt^2##. Am I right so far?

If you are going with my definition of x, surely s must increase as x increases. Remember, I choose positive x direction to be toward the right. Your picture seems to be taking x positive to the left.

The algebra will be simpler if you consider displacement from the centre of the rod. If x is displacement to the right, the torque from normal force is mgx clockwise. The horizontal acceleration of the bug is ##\ddot x##, so the force on the rod from the bug is ##m\ddot x## to the left.

TSny said:
If you are going with my definition of x, surely s must increase as x increases. Remember, I choose positive x direction to be toward the right. Your picture seems to be taking x positive to the left.

Ah, I think I get it now, I was being really foolish. :redface:

The displacement from P is ##s=k/2+x \Rightarrow d^2s/dt^2=d^2x/dt^2##. Hence,
$$F=m\ddot{s}=m\ddot{x}=-f$$
This turns out to be SHM, thanks a lot TSny! :smile:

Continuing with ehild's approach, I had
$$-fl=\frac{dL}{dt} \Rightarrow -fl=\frac{d(mvl)}{dt}=ml\frac{dv}{dt}$$
Since
$$\frac{dv}{dt}=\ddot{s}=\ddot{x}$$
Hence, I get the same equation. Thanks a lot ehild for this nice method. :smile:

But I can't get the answer using the ##x## I originally took in my attempt, I am ending up with the same error as in OP. :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
Continuing with ehild's approach, I had
$$-fl=\frac{dL}{dt} \Rightarrow -fl=\frac{d(mvl)}{dt}=ml\frac{dv}{dt}$$
Since
$$\frac{dv}{dt}=\ddot{s}=\ddot{x}$$
Hence, I get the same equation. Thanks a lot ehild for this nice method. :smile:

But I can't get the answer using the ##x## I originally took in my attempt, I am ending up with the same error as in OP. :confused:

I meant the torque equation for the whole system bug+frame. Friction is an inner force between bug and frame, it does not count.

I choose a system of coordinates with horizontal x axis. pointing to the right and vertical y axis, pointing upward.

The only external force is gravity. Its torque with respect to the hinge is τ=-xmg The angular momentum of the whole system is that of the bug as the frame does not move: L=lmv

[itex]\tau=-xmg [/itex], [itex]L=Mlv[/itex], [itex]\tau= \dot L \rightarrow -xmg=l m \dot v \rightarrow -xmg=lm\ddot x [/itex] which corresponds to the equation of SHM.

When writing up torque and angular momentum with respect to the centre of the frame do not forget that they are cross products. L=rxmv, τ=rxF.

ehild

Attachments

• bugonframe.JPG
    bugonframe.JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
Likes 1 person
ehild said:
I meant the torque equation for the whole system bug+frame. Friction is an inner force between bug and frame, it does not count.

I choose a system of coordinates with horizontal x axis. pointing to the right and vertical y axis, pointing upward.

The only external force is gravity. Its torque with respect to the hinge is τ=-xmg The angular momentum of the whole system is that of the bug as the frame does not move: L=lmv

[itex]\tau=-xmg [/itex], [itex]L=Mlv[/itex], [itex]\tau= \dot L \rightarrow -xmg=l m \dot v \rightarrow -xmg=lm\ddot x [/itex] which corresponds to the equation of SHM.

When writing up torque and angular momentum with respect to the centre of the frame do not forget that they are cross products. L=rxmv, τ=rxF.

ehild

Hi ehild! :)

Yes, I understand the torque approach but I am not able to get the answer using the ##x## I originally took, can you please help me point out the error?

In my original approach, I set origin at P and positive x-axis towards right (or PN).

So going back to the OP:
Pranav-Arora said:
There are two forces acting on the frame, friction (f, along PN) and normal reaction due to bug (N', vertically downwards). Since the frame must not rotate, ##fl=N'(\sqrt{2}a-2l-x)##
##\sqrt{2}a-2l## is the distance PN, so ##\sqrt{2}a-2l-x## is the distance of the bug from N.
Don't you want the moment of N' about O? That would be ##N'(a/\sqrt{2}-l-x)##, anticlockwise, yes? (When ##x > a/\sqrt{2}-l## the sign changes to make it clockwise.)
If f is the horizontal force on the frame, the equation ##fl = N'(a/\sqrt{2}-l-x)## implies f is measured positive to the left.
The bug moves from P to N and the frictional force on bug is directed from N to P.
No, according to the above usage, f on the bug must be positive from P to N.

Likes 1 person
With the coordinate system shown in the picture, the hinge is at (b/2, l) (b is the length of the rod). So r=(x-b/2)i-l j. τ=rX(-mg j)=-mg(x-b/2)k, and L=rXmvi =lmvk. τ=dL/dt--> -(x-b/2)mg=lmd2x/dt2.

Going back to forces acting on the frame and bug separately: The bug exerts normal force on the rod, it is equal to mg (downward) and its torque is mg(b/2-x), anti-clockwise (b is the length of the rod).
The bug exerts some frictional force f on the rod, and the torque of that force compensates the torque of the gravitational force. f l+ mg(b/2-x)=0
The bug exerts f force on the rod, the rod exerts -f force on the bug. So the motion of the bug corresponds to ma=-f=mg/l (b/2-x)
If the bug starts from P (x=0) and its initial speed is 0, it will move according to x=bg/(2l)(1-coswt)

ehild

Attachments

• bugframe.JPG
    bugframe.JPG
    8 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
Likes 1 person
ehild said:
With the coordinate system shown in the picture, the hinge is at (b/2, l) (b is the length of the rod). So r=(x-b/2)i-l j. τ=rX(-mg j)=-mg(x-b/2)k, and L=rXmvi =lmvk. τ=dL/dt--> -(x-b/2)mg=lmd2x/dt2.

Going back to forces acting on the frame and bug separately: The bug exerts normal force on the rod, it is equal to mg (downward) and its torque is mg(b/2-x), anti-clockwise (b is the length of the rod).
The bug exerts some frictional force f on the rod, and the torque of that force compensates the torque of the gravitational force. f l+ mg(b/2-x)=0
The bug exerts f force on the rod, the rod exerts -f force on the bug. So the motion of the bug corresponds to ma=-f=mg/l (b/2-x)
If the bug starts from P (x=0) and its initial speed is 0, it will move according to x=bg/(2l)(1-coswt)

ehild
Hi ehild! :smile:

Sorry for the delay in reply. :redface:

Thank you very much for the explanation, I think I see the error I had with the signs. The direction of forces was alright in my working (I think) but I messed up with the torques, thank you again. :)

Related to Bug on a hinged square metal frame

1. What is a bug on a hinged square metal frame?

A bug on a hinged square metal frame is a small insect that is placed on a metal frame with a hinge, which allows for movement and observation of the bug.

2. How does the hinged square metal frame work?

The hinged square metal frame consists of a square piece of metal with a hinge attached to one side. The bug is placed on the frame and the hinge allows for movement of the frame, providing a closer look at the bug.

3. What is the purpose of a bug on a hinged square metal frame?

The purpose of a bug on a hinged square metal frame is to observe and study the behavior and physical characteristics of the bug in a controlled environment. It allows for a closer examination of the bug without the risk of it flying or crawling away.

4. What types of bugs can be placed on a hinged square metal frame?

Any small insect or bug can be placed on a hinged square metal frame, such as ants, beetles, and spiders. However, it is important to ensure that the bug is not harmed in the process and is returned to its natural habitat after observation.

5. Is it ethical to use bugs on a hinged square metal frame for scientific purposes?

As with any scientific study involving living organisms, it is important to consider ethical concerns. It is crucial to handle the bugs with care and return them to their natural habitat after observation. It is also important to obtain proper permits and follow regulations for collecting and studying bugs in certain areas.