Bug in Mozilla 1.6 AND in Firefox 1.0?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with downloading lecture notes from a website using Mozilla browsers. It is discovered that the issue is caused by the webpage creator using backslashes instead of forward slashes in the links. The solution is to manually change the URLs and use a different browser. One person expresses disappointment with the webpage creator's mistake.
gnome
Bug in Mozilla 1.6 AND in Firefox 1.0?

I've been trying to download lecture notes (.pps files) from this website:

http://www-cs.engr.ccny.cuny.edu/~zhu/GC-Spring2005/CSc80000-2-VisionCourse.html

The ONLY one that I can get with Mozilla Firefox 1.0 OR with Mozilla 1.6 is the "Lecture 5" file. For all of the others the result is

Not Found
The requested URL ... bla bla bla ... was not found on this server.

This, despite the fact that I have both Mozillas configured to update the cache every time I view a page, AND I have manually cleared the entire cache anyway.

MS Internet Explorer downloads and opens all of these links with no problem.

(Note, no problems with the "Homework" files, and no problem with the "Lecture 5" ppt file. Only the pps files are eluding me.)

Any ideas?

Computer science news on Phys.org
It's not a bug. The person who made the webpage used a backslash character in the links, when (s)he should have used a forward slash. The resulting URLs are not compliant, and there is no general protocol browsers should use when trying to deal with non-compliant URLs.

The easiest thing to do is to copy the URL, change the "%5C" (the ASCII for the backslash, encoded) to a forward slash, and download the files with any browser you prefer.

- Warren

Thanks Warren. That's it.

Funny, while I was playing around with it, I noticed that backslash and tried replacing "%5" with a / (but I didn't realize the first "C" was part of the code too).

(I hope the Mozilla people will forgive me for insulting their browser.) o:) o:)

Last edited:
Lazy programmers. . . tsk tsk.

Related to Bug in Mozilla 1.6 AND in Firefox 1.0?

1. What is the bug in Mozilla 1.6 and Firefox 1.0?

The bug in Mozilla 1.6 and Firefox 1.0 is a security vulnerability that allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code or cause a denial of service by exploiting certain JavaScript functions.

2. How does this bug affect users?

This bug can potentially compromise the security of users' personal information and make their devices vulnerable to malicious attacks. It can also cause the browser to crash or freeze, leading to a loss of data and productivity.

3. How did this bug occur?

The bug occurred due to a flaw in the implementation of certain JavaScript functions in the browsers. This flaw allowed attackers to exploit the functions and gain access to the user's system.

4. Has this bug been fixed?

Yes, this bug has been fixed in newer versions of Mozilla and Firefox. Users are advised to update their browsers to the latest version to protect themselves from this vulnerability.

5. Are there any preventative measures users can take to protect themselves?

Aside from updating to the latest version of Mozilla or Firefox, users can also disable JavaScript in their browsers or use browser extensions that block malicious scripts. It is also important to practice safe browsing habits and avoid clicking on suspicious links or downloading files from untrusted sources.

Back