Bug in Maxima or I'm missing something?

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bug Maxima
In summary, the conversation is about defining and evaluating functions in terms of variables and previously defined functions. The first example shows a simple function being defined and evaluated, while the second example uses a more complex function and shows the output that was initially obtained, which did not match the expected result. The speaker wonders if there is a mistake in their code or if there is a bug in the program.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I am clueless. Here's the model I tried to follow:
Code:
g(a):=a^2-1;
Code:
f(a,b):=a+g(a)-b;
Code:
f(a,b);
With output
Code:
−b+a^2+a−1
Which is 1)Define a function in terms of some variable(s).
2)Define another function in terms of some variable(s) and in terms of the function defined in 1).
3)Evaluate the function in 2) to see the explicit and eventually simplified form of that function.

I tried this with a more complicated function but the output is troublesome:
1)
Code:
Z(beta, delta, hbar, omega):=exp(-beta*hbar*omega)*((exp(-beta*delta)-1)/(1-exp(-2*beta*hbar*omega))+1/(1-exp(-beta*hbar*omega))^2);
2)
Code:
P_n(beta, delta, hbar, omega,n):=(exp(-beta*(hbar*omega*(1+2*n)+delta)))/Z(beta, delta, hbar, omega);
3)
Code:
P_n(beta, delta, hbar, omega,n);
with output
Code:
e^(beta*hbar*omega−beta*(hbar*(2*n+1)*omega+delta))
which reduces to
Code:
e^(−2*beta*hbar*n*omega−beta*delta)
which is way too simple.
On my draft I've got a more "complex" function than this ultra reduction and there's absolutely no way to get what Maxima got. It's almost as if Maxima did not divide by Z(beta, etc) when evaluating 3).

Am I missing something? Or Maxima is bugged?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry guys, I am unable to reproduce this behavior anymore, I now get the correct result.

Related to Bug in Maxima or I'm missing something?

1. What is a "bug" in Maxima?

A "bug" in Maxima refers to a programming error or flaw in the software that causes it to not function as expected or produce incorrect results.

2. How can I report a bug in Maxima?

You can report a bug in Maxima by visiting the official Maxima website and submitting a bug report through their bug tracker system. Make sure to include as much detail as possible about the issue and steps to reproduce it.

3. What are some common causes of bugs in Maxima?

Some common causes of bugs in Maxima can include coding errors, compatibility issues with other software or operating systems, and user input errors.

4. How can I avoid encountering bugs in Maxima?

To avoid encountering bugs in Maxima, it is important to keep the software updated to the latest version, use it on a compatible operating system, and follow proper coding practices when creating custom functions or scripts.

5. What should I do if I think I'm missing something in Maxima?

If you think you are missing something in Maxima, try checking the official Maxima documentation or community forums for help. You can also reach out to the Maxima development team for assistance.