Buckyball Diffraction Thru a Grating.

The problem is that you are assuming that the buckyballs are behaving like waves, when in fact they are particles. You cannot use the same equations for optics. Instead, you need to use the equations for the momentum and energy of a particle, and then solve for the deBroglie wavelength.
TMO

Homework Statement

Buckyballs are soccerball-shaped molecules consisting of 60 carbon atoms (Mass of C60 = 1.2024×10-24 kg) with an approximate diameter of 1 nm. A beam of buckyballs with each molecule carrying a kinetic energy of 0.60 eV is normally incident on a grating with a slit with of 10 nm and 105 lines per centimeter. We detect these molecules with suitable equipment placed at a distance of 1.5 m behind the grating. Let the wavelength of these buckyballs be λ.

(1) How far do we have to move the detector from the path of incidence to find the first maximum of intensity?

(2) If a photon had the same energy E as a buckyball of momentum p, what would be its wavelength λφ? Give an algebraic answer in terms of mC60, h, and c only.

Homework Equations

(I) d sin(θ) = ±mλ, where m is an integer.
(II) p2/(2m) = E
(III) pφ = E/c
(IV) E = hc/λφ

The Attempt at a Solution

For (1), the maximae occur at integral multiples of the wavelength, so the detector should be moved λ wavelengths away (or so I think).

For (2), cross multiply equation (III) to get E = pc. Set this equal to (I) yielding p = 2mC60c. Plug equation (IV) into (III) yielding p = h/λφ. Therefore 2mC60c = h/λφ. Trivial algebra gives the desired solution λφ = h/(2mC60c)

My solution to problem (1) feels too simple to be right, and my solution to problem (2) assumes that p = pφ, and I'm unsure as to whether such an equivalence is correct. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
For (1), the maximae occur at integral multiples of the wavelength, so the detector should be moved λ wavelengths away (or so I think).
Nope - the path difference has to be an integer number of wavelengths. That's why ##d\sin\theta=m\lambda##

Okay then. Let ρ be the line density per meter. Then the distance between each line should be given by ρ-1. Thus ρ-1 sin(θ) ≈ ρ-1ΔyR-1 = λ. ∴ Δy = λρR.

Why not just use the deBroglie wavelength of the buckyball and proceed as for optics?

Why not just use the deBroglie wavelength of the buckyball and proceed as for optics?

When I said in my original post, "Let the wavelength of these buckyballs be λ," I was referring to the deBroglie wavelength of the buckyball. Furthermore, I am referring to the same lambda in the following quoted post as in the original post:
TMO said:
Okay then. Let ρ be the line density per meter. Then the distance between each line should be given by ρ-1. Thus ρ-1 sin(θ) ≈ ρ-1ΔyR-1 = λ. ∴ Δy = λρR.

Last edited:
Oh excuse me - I misread the relations.
Note: people marking exams can do that too - which is why you annotate your working.

Then what's the problem?

Related to Buckyball Diffraction Thru a Grating.

1. What is a Buckyball?

A Buckyball, also known as a Buckminsterfullerene or C60, is a molecule composed of 60 carbon atoms arranged in a spherical shape, resembling a soccer ball. It was discovered in 1985 and has unique chemical and physical properties.

2. What is diffraction?

Diffraction is the bending or spreading of waves as they pass through an opening or around an obstacle. In the case of Buckyball diffraction, it refers to the pattern created when a beam of light is passed through a grating and interacts with the Buckyball molecules.

3. How does diffraction through a grating work?

A grating is a surface with evenly spaced slits or lines. When a beam of light is passed through the grating, it is diffracted or bent as it passes through the slits. The diffracted light waves then interfere with each other, creating a diffraction pattern on a screen placed behind the grating.

4. What is the significance of Buckyball diffraction?

Buckyball diffraction is significant because it demonstrates the wave-like properties of matter. This phenomenon was originally thought to only occur with light waves, but the discovery of Buckyballs showed that even particles can exhibit wave behavior.

5. How can Buckyball diffraction be applied in real life?

The study of Buckyball diffraction has potential applications in fields such as material science, medicine, and technology. It can help researchers better understand the behavior of particles and develop new materials with unique properties. It can also aid in drug delivery and nanotechnology advancements.