Buck Converter (Step Down) Help

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a buck converter circuit and the attempt to find the values of R1 and Vout using given values for R2, duty cycle, and Vref. The problem cannot be solved without knowing Vout or Vin, and the duty cycle needs to be used in the calculation. It is suggested to confront the instructor for further clarification.
Barry1234

Homework Statement

See attached sheet

Problem with the buck converter circuit as in the diagram attached. The PWM is fed from a OP AMP in comparator mode, can we find the values of R1 and Vout. We have been supplied with the values of R2, the Duty Cycle of the waveform is 30%, and Vref which is 1.25V. (Full question in the attachment.). [/B]

Homework Equations

mimetex.cgi?%20V_{REF}%20=%20(\frac{R2}{R1%20+%20R2}%20)%20*%20V_{cc}.gif

2}}.gif
3. The Attempt at a Solution
[/B]

I am having problems with part b of the question i have working on. For part a) I have managed to find that the circuit is a Buck Converter (Step down converter) and that duty cycle is controlled by a OP AMP in comparator mode which creates a error voltage and is fed into the oscillator. ( I have included more information about the two states of the circuit, when the transistor is on, and when the transistor is off, included the free wheel diode etc, and the inductors magnetic field collapsing).

For Part b), i am getting stuck, i take it you have to start at the voltage divider and try and work out R2. I have started this with the equation

mimetex.cgi?%20V_{REF}%20=%20(\frac{R2}{R1%20+%20R2}%20)%20*%20V_{cc}.gif

which re-arranges to
mimetex.cgi?%20R2%20=%20(\frac{V_{REF}}{V_{cc}}%20-%201)%20*%20V_{cc}.gif

With Vcc being the voltage supply to the OP AMP which isn't supplied.

I have read that the value of R2 can also be given by the

2}}.gif

With V_fb being the voltage to the non inverting input of the OP AMP, but also the current is not supplied for the equation. The current being the current going into R1 at the top of the voltage divider.

I am a little bit stuck, if anyone can point me in the right direction. Hopefully it is something simple i am missing! Or if i haven't explained myself very well!

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• BuckConv.JPG
    BuckConv.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a bit rusty and might not be able to follow up any replies but..

Hint: You haven't used the stated duty cycle yet.

EDIT:
This problem can't be solved unless Vout is given.
Once it is, use the fact that the net voltage across L is zero over 1 cycle (explain why).
Or maybe Vin was given, then you can compute Vout the same way.
Since the duty cycle is given, Vref, R1 and R2 are all meaningless.

Last edited:
Hi CWatters,

Ye, i have not used the duty cycle, which the equation is
Vout = D*Vin
But as either of the voltages have been supplied, I don't know where to go next!

Hi rude man

I thought the same, I wasn't sure if I was missing something simple!

Thanks for your help

Barry1234 said:
Hi rude man
I thought the same, I wasn't sure if I was missing something simple!
Confront your instructor!

Related to Buck Converter (Step Down) Help

What is a buck converter (step down)?

A buck converter, also known as a step-down converter, is a type of DC-DC converter that converts a higher voltage to a lower voltage. This is achieved by using a switch and an inductor to regulate the output voltage.

Why is a buck converter (step down) used?

Buck converters are commonly used in electronic devices to provide a stable and regulated power supply. They are more efficient than linear voltage regulators and can handle a wider range of input voltages.

How does a buck converter (step down) work?

A buck converter works by using a switch to rapidly turn the input voltage on and off. This creates a pulsating current that is then smoothed out by the inductor and capacitor to provide a steady output voltage.

What are the advantages of using a buck converter (step down)?

Buck converters offer several advantages, including high efficiency, small size, and low cost. They are also able to handle a wide range of input voltages and provide a stable output voltage.

What are the common applications of buck converters (step down)?

Buck converters are commonly used in electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, and power supplies. They are also used in renewable energy systems, automotive electronics, and industrial equipment.