Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Brownian Motion: Martingale Property

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
Hi!!!
I need some help at the following exercise...
Let \(\displaystyle B\) be a typical brownian motion with \(\displaystyle μ>0\) and \(\displaystyle x\) ε \(\displaystyle R\). \(\displaystyle X_{t}:=x+B_{t}+μt\), for each \(\displaystyle t>=0\), a brownian motion with velocity \(\displaystyle μ\) that starts at \(\displaystyle x\). For \(\displaystyle r\) ε \(\displaystyle R\), \(\displaystyle T_{r}\):=inf{\(\displaystyle s>=0:X_{s}=r\)} and \(\displaystyle φ(r):=exp(-2μr)\). Show that \(\displaystyle M_{t}:=φ(X_{t})\) for t>=0 is martingale.

Could you tell me the purpose of \(\displaystyle T_{r}\)??

Last edited:

girdav

Feb 1, 2012
Hi!

The definition of $T_r$ will be probably used latter, but it seems it's not needed to solve the first question. Did you manage to do it?

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
To show that Mt is martingale, I have to show that:
1. Mt is adapted to the filtration {Ft}t>=0
2. For every t>=0, E(|Mt|)<oo
3. E(Mt|Fs)=Ms, for every 0<=s<=t
Right???

For the property 2. what I've done until now is:

E(|e-2μ(x+Bt+μt|)=E(|e-2μ(x+Bt+Bs-Bs+μt)|)=E(|e-2μ(x+Bs)e-2μ(Bt-Bs)e-2\(\displaystyle μ^2\)t|)=e-2μ(x+Bs)E(|e-2μ(Bt-Bs)|)E(|e-2\(\displaystyle μ^2\)t|).

Since B is a typical brownian motion, is the mean value E(|e-2μ(Bt-Bs)|) equal to e0=1???

girdav

Feb 1, 2012
I don't understand why you put $e^{-2\mu(x+B_s)}$ outside the expectation.

To see that $E(|M_t|)$ is finite for each $t$, it's enough to show that $E(e^{-2\mu B_t})$ is finite. Note that $B_t$ is normally distributed, hence the term $e^{-2\mu x}$ in the computation of the expectation should not be problematic.

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
I put \(\displaystyle e^{-2μ(x+B_s)}\) outside the expectation, because I thought that since it has no t, it's like a constant...
And how can I show the property 3??? :confused:

girdav

Feb 1, 2012
I put \(\displaystyle e^{-2μ(x+B_s)}\) outside the expectation, because I thought that since it has no t, it's like a constant...
:confused:
The problem is that what you get is a random variable, whereas an expectation should be a (deterministic number).

And how can I show the property 3???
You can use the idea you used for point 2 (it was not needed there, but it is now). Indeed, one can write $M_t=\exp(-2\mu(x+B_t+\mu t))=e^{-2\mu(x+\mu t) }\exp(-2\mu(B_t-B_s))\exp(-2\mu B_s)$. Computing the conditional expectation of this term goes like that: $\exp(-2\mu(B_t-B_s))$ is independent of $\mathcal F_s$ and $\exp(-2\mu B_s)$ is $\mathcal F_s$-measurable.

mathmari

MHB Site Helper
Apr 14, 2013
Ok.... Thank you very much!!!!!! ;)