Brownian Motion 1 (birth-death)

In summary, the birth and death process X(t) with constant rates Ln = L and un = u (n is integer) can go negative and converge to Brownian motion as L approaches infinity. The value of c, which is necessary for the process to converge, is found by taking the variance of the process and setting it equal to t. After some calculations, the correct value of c is determined to be 1/sqrt(2*L). However, there may be some inconsistencies in the calculation process that need to be addressed.
tyler_T
Problem:

Let X(t), t>0 denote the birth and death process that is allowed to go negative and that has constant birth and death rates Ln = L, un = u (n is integer). Define u and c as functions of L in such a way that cX(t), t>u converges to Brownian motion as L approaches infinity.

Attempt at solution:

Since the expected value of cX(t), must equal 0, it is obvious that u = L.
The answer to the second part is c = 1/sqrt(2L), but I have no idea how to get there.

Can anybody help me make sense of this?

-Tyler

Physics news on Phys.org
The value of c follows from the varience of the process.( Note that this has to be a 1-dimensional random walk).

That's what I figured, but it just doesn't seem to workout for me.

X(t) ~ binomial(0, number of steps * 1/2 * 1/2)

So if we take L steps per unit of time, var(X(t)) = L*t/4

We want var(cX(t)) = t

So if we take c = 2/sqrt(L), then var(cX(t)) = t.

But this is not the correct answer. The correct answer is 1/sqrt(2*L).

Where am I going wrong?

Related to Brownian Motion 1 (birth-death)

1. What is Brownian motion?

Brownian motion, also known as pedesis, is the random movement of particles suspended in a fluid (such as water or air). This phenomenon was first observed in 1827 by Robert Brown, a botanist, while studying pollen grains in water.

2. How does Brownian motion occur?

Brownian motion occurs when molecules in the surrounding fluid collide with the particles, causing them to move in a random zigzag pattern. This movement is driven by thermal energy and is influenced by the size and shape of the particles.

3. What is the significance of Brownian motion?

Brownian motion is an important concept in physics and chemistry as it provides evidence for the existence of atoms and molecules. It also has practical applications in fields such as biology, where it helps explain the movement of tiny particles within cells.

4. What is the mathematical model for Brownian motion?

The mathematical model for Brownian motion is known as the Wiener process, named after Norbert Wiener who developed the theory in the 1920s. It is a continuous-time stochastic process that describes the random movement of particles.

5. What is "birth-death" in relation to Brownian motion?

"Birth-death" in Brownian motion refers to the occurrence of new particles being introduced into the system (birth) and existing particles leaving the system (death). This phenomenon is often observed in biological systems, such as the growth and decay of bacterial populations.