Garage-door openers jammed [by NATO?]

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, during a NATO conference in Colorado Springs, residents in the Broadmoor neighborhood took the lockdown seriously and prepared by purchasing supplies such as 12-volt batteries. The article also mentions that government officials attending the conference were known to be particular about the color of their cars, leading to the production of 30 Cadillac DeVilles specifically for the conference. After the conference, these cars will be available for sale in the Front Range area. Some speculate that the recent issues with garage door openers may be due to the "rolling code technology" being disrupted. Overall, this situation has been beneficial for General Motors, but also seen as a bit crazy.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
COLORADO SPRINGS - Next time NATO officials say they're doing a lockdown, the folks in the luxury Broadmoor neighborhood will take them seriously.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%257E53%257E1685722,00.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice article, at least someone was happy:

DeYoung isn't alone. A nearby Radio Shack sold out of 12-volt batteries, which are often used for garage-door openers, Friday morning. A new shipment sold out in 90 minutes.

And the part about getting cars fro the officials attending the meeting: Government officials told him at least one diplomat left a previous conference when he didn't get the color car he wanted, he added.

Finally, Hayton called Red Noland Cadillac, which called General Motors. Thirty $46,000 Cadillac DeVilles were made in Michigan specifically to cart the NATO dignitaries around. After the conference winds up today, the bronze- colored cars with chrome wheels will be offered for sale across the Front Range.

crazy, good for GM, but crazy

Humm wonder if it's the "rolling code technology" that only needed a slight frequency "bump" to cause all of the openers to stop working, cause the code is now wrong.

1. Why would NATO jam garage-door openers?

NATO would not intentionally jam garage-door openers. It is possible that their signals could interfere with the garage-door opener frequencies, but this would be unintentional and not targeted specifically at garage-door openers.

2. How can I prevent my garage-door opener from being jammed by NATO?

There is no surefire way to prevent interference from NATO signals. However, you can try changing the frequency of your garage-door opener or purchasing a newer model that operates on a different frequency.

3. Can NATO jam all types of garage-door openers?

NATO signals have the potential to jam all types of garage-door openers, regardless of brand or model. However, the likelihood of interference is low and should not be a major concern for most homeowners.

4. Can I file a complaint if my garage-door opener is jammed by NATO?

Unfortunately, there is no official channel for filing a complaint about a jammed garage-door opener caused by NATO signals. As mentioned earlier, this interference is unintentional and not specifically targeted at garage-door openers.

5. Are there any safety concerns if my garage-door opener is jammed by NATO?

No, there are no safety concerns associated with a jammed garage-door opener caused by NATO signals. The jamming is temporary and does not pose any physical harm to you or your property.