Broken devices due to increased voltage

In summary, the conversation discusses a newspaper story about a cityblock where the voltage was accidentally increased to 400V, causing numerous appliances to malfunction. The speaker asks how these breakdowns can be explained using Ohm's law and the Joule effect at a high school level. The other person explains that devices can fail due to electrical arcs jumping from point to point and that the incident can cause both voltage breakdown and overheating. They suggest that the most likely cause of the breakdowns is the devices being rated for a lower voltage.
JorisL
Hello,

A few days ago I read a story in the newspaper.
In a cityblock the voltage of the grid was accidently increased to 400V (instead of the standard 240V).

Clearly quite a few appliances died because of this.

My question is how far can I get explaining these breakdowns using Ohm's law and the Joule effect.
Basically an explanation at the high school level.

If we simply replace the device by a resistor it is clear that through ##P=\frac{U^2}{R}## we get a lot more power that has to be dissipated.
From this we can expect the resistor to melt if we simplify the system in an extremely naive way.

Thanks,

Joris

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are correct, but devices can also fail when electrical arcs jump from point to point through air or through insulators because the voltage is too high.

In an incident that happened near me, a 3000 volt line touched a 240 volt line, causing all the TVs in the neighborhood to catch fire at the same time. The fire department had a busy night.

There are two basic effects (other than transients that might also accompany the event)

1. The input voltage causes devices subjected to it to breakdown because they are rated for a lower voltage
2. Higher currents cause devices to overheat or fuses to blow.

I expect #1 is most likely, but that will also generally cause #2 to happen.

Related to Broken devices due to increased voltage

1. What causes devices to break due to increased voltage?

Increased voltage can cause devices to break due to overloading the circuits and components, which can lead to overheating and damage to the internal components. It can also cause electrical arcing, which can damage the electronics and other sensitive parts of the device.

2. What are the common signs of a device being damaged by increased voltage?

The common signs of a device being damaged by increased voltage include the device not turning on or powering off unexpectedly, unusual noises or smells coming from the device, flickering lights or screen, and visible damage to the device such as burn marks or melted components.

3. Can a device be repaired after being damaged by increased voltage?

In some cases, a device can be repaired after being damaged by increased voltage. However, the extent of the damage and the availability of replacement parts will determine if it is cost-effective to repair the device. It is always best to consult a professional technician for an accurate assessment and repair options.

4. How can I protect my devices from damage due to increased voltage?

To protect your devices from damage due to increased voltage, you can use surge protectors or Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) systems. These devices can help regulate and stabilize the voltage, protecting your devices from sudden spikes or surges in electricity. It is also important to avoid overloading outlets and circuits by only plugging in the recommended number of devices.

5. Can increased voltage cause long-term damage to a device?

Yes, increased voltage can cause long-term damage to a device if it is not addressed promptly. Overheating and arcing can cause irreversible damage to the internal components, which can affect the device's performance and lifespan. It is important to address any issues with increased voltage as soon as possible to prevent long-term damage.