'Brinicle' ice finger of death

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death Ice
In summary, a documentary series called "Frozen Planet" narrated by David Attenborough will be airing on BBC 1 tonight. The conversation also includes admiration for David Attenborough's voice and a discussion about the educational value of the show "Planet Earth". The physics behind a video of fresh water sinking in seawater is also brought up and explained. The freezing point of fresh water and its density is the reason why this phenomenon occurs.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Amazing footage by BBC Nature, I had to share:

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
This absolutely brilliant documentary series (Frozen Planet) is on tonight at 9 on BBC 1. Well worth a watch!

I love David Attenborough's voice! I bought the BBC version of Planet Earth just because he narrated it - not the US Susan Sarandon version.

Last edited:
turbo said:
I love David Attenborough's voice! I bought the BBC version of Planet Earth just because he narrated it - not the US Susan Sarandon version.
We have "Planet Earth" queued up for the holiday so we can revisit this classic over a period of days and avoid the tripe that the networks are selling as "classics".

I'm no business-entertainment guru, but I'll be willing to bet that if a cable channel would loop Planet Earth continuously, parents would set their cable channel permissions accordingly. Their children would at least be a bit better educated.

Perhaps I'm a bit optimistic regarding the motivations of the parents...

Andy Resnick said:
whoa...

Can someone explain the physics involved here? I can understand seawater being liquid at say -3 C, and fresh water would freeze at this temperature, although not as fast as it appears to here. Why would fresh water sink in seawater? Fresh water has a maximum density at +4 C and becomes less dense at lower temperatures. That's why ice forms on the surface and floats.

EDIT: OK. I missed the first sentence the first time I saw this. This is a stream of liquid brine at a lower temperature than the seawater. Because of its high salinity the brine "finger" remains liquid, but the less saline seawater has a higher freezing point and freezes around the liquid column as the heavy brine descends. Fascinating.

Last edited:

Related to 'Brinicle' ice finger of death

1. What is a 'Brinicle' ice finger of death?

A 'Brinicle' ice finger of death, also known as a "sea ice stalactite", is a formation that occurs when extremely cold and salty water sinks to the bottom of the ocean and comes into contact with warmer seawater. This creates a brine-filled ice structure that extends downward, resembling a frozen finger.

2. How does a 'Brinicle' ice finger of death form?

A 'Brinicle' ice finger of death forms when extremely cold and salty water sinks to the bottom of the ocean and comes into contact with warmer seawater. The difference in temperature and salinity causes the formation of a brine-filled ice structure that extends downward.

3. Where can 'Brinicle' ice fingers of death be found?

'Brinicle' ice fingers of death have been observed in polar regions, particularly in the Arctic and Antarctic oceans. They are most commonly found in areas where sea ice meets open water.

4. How big can 'Brinicle' ice fingers of death get?

The size of a 'Brinicle' ice finger of death can vary, but they can grow up to several meters in length. The thickness of the structure can also vary, but it is typically around a few centimeters.

5. Are 'Brinicle' ice fingers of death dangerous?

While the formation of a 'Brinicle' ice finger of death may seem ominous, they are not considered dangerous to humans. However, they can have an impact on marine life as they can freeze and trap organisms that come into contact with them.