Bringing cellphone to GRE test center

In summary, if you have scheduled a GRE test next week, and you are taking the test, DO NOT bring your cellphone with you to the test center. You can leave your apartment with it all day long, as long you don't bring it in. If you need to contact someone during the test, you will have to do so by calling the test center and asking for a phone number to be given to you.
maNoFchangE
I have scheduled a GRE test next week and in the ETS website it says that "Do not bring cell phones, smartphones (e.g., Android®, BlackBerry® or iPhone® devices), PDAs, digital watches, smartwatches and other electronic, recording, listening or photographic devices into the test center". Does it mean I am really not allowed to bring my cellphone the moment I leave my apartment to head to the test center? Anyone with this experience already?

Physics news on Phys.org
maNoFchangE said:
I have scheduled a GRE test next week and in the ETS website it says that "Do not bring cell phones, smartphones (e.g., Android®, BlackBerry® or iPhone® devices), PDAs, digital watches, smartwatches and other electronic, recording, listening or photographic devices into the test center". Does it mean I am really not allowed to bring my cellphone the moment I leave my apartment to head to the test center? Anyone with this experience already?

And you're taking the GRE...?

It means exactly what it says, don't bring those devices into the test center. You can leave your apartment with it all day long, as long you don't bring it in.

Meaning I can leave it at the hand of one of the test administrators before I enter the testing room?

maNoFchangE said:
Meaning I can leave it at the hand of one of the test administrators before I enter the testing room?

You'll have to call them and ask, some test centers will have lockers for people who use mass transit and can't leave them in vehicles, others proctors will collect them. If they can't accommodate you, you'll have to leave it at home.

Likes maNoFchangE
maNoFchangE said:
How is that complicated or confusing? Just imagine what devious students or other test-takers might like to do with any of those devices during testing!

symbolipoint said:
How is that complicated or confusing? Just imagine what devious students or other test-takers might like to do with any of those devices during testing!
I indeed don't expect them to let me bring the mentioned devices inside the testing room. The fact is, I have taken TOEFL test two years ago in my home country and I was allowed to bring my phone until the door leading to the testing room. There, I was required to leave my phone with the test administrator. Now that I will be testing in another country, I am thinking that the regulation will be stricter.
I asked this because actually the test center I chose is located away from the city where I live in. One day before the test I will arrive there and stay overnight in a hostel. However it turns out that the check-out time of that hostel is available only before a certain time where at that time I will be doing the test. In short, I have to check-out at the same moment I am heading to the center, and I will surely bring my luggage along to the test center. I hope I illustrate my situation clearer this time.

maNoFchangE said:
I indeed don't expect them to let me bring the mentioned devices inside the testing room. The fact is, I have taken TOEFL test two years ago in my home country and I was allowed to bring my phone until the door leading to the testing room. There, I was required to leave my phone with the test administrator. Now that I will be testing in another country, I am thinking that the regulation will be stricter.
I asked this because actually the test center I chose is located away from the city where I live in. One day before the test I will arrive there and stay overnight in a hostel. However it turns out that the check-out time of that hostel is available only before a certain time where at that time I will be doing the test. In short, I have to check-out at the same moment I am heading to the center, and I will surely bring my luggage along to the test center. I hope I illustrate my situation clearer this time.
What you wish for is reasonable.

It';s not confusing. It says "don't bring it to the test center". This may be inconvenient, but that's what they say.

If I were a proctor, I would not hold anyone's property. What if I give the wrong student someone else's property? Besides, I have work to do - that's why I am there. Being a hat check girl is not part of my job description.

If you take your phone, you may get them to take it. Or you may manage to get it in at the bottom of your luggage with nobody the wiser. Or you may get found out and yours scores nullified. Or you can live without your phone for two days. It's your choice.

Do railroad stations in your current country have a place to leave luggage securely, e.g. in a locker or a checkroom, for a few hours? If yes, go from the hostel to the station, leave your luggage and phone, and then go to the testing center.

Last edited:
I like post #8 and also post #9.

The best to do is ask the test center officials. If they say "no", then make what arrangements you need to.

Just asked the test center, good thing they will allow me to bring my luggage along and they also provide a locker.

Related to Bringing cellphone to GRE test center

1. Can I bring my cellphone to the GRE test center?

No, cellphones are not allowed in the GRE test center. The test center provides lockers for you to store your cellphone during the exam.

2. Can I use my cellphone during breaks in the GRE exam?

No, you are not allowed to access your cellphone during breaks in the GRE exam. This includes using it as a timekeeping device.

3. What happens if I am caught with a cellphone in the GRE test center?

If you are caught with a cellphone in the GRE test center, your test will be terminated and your scores will be canceled. It is important to follow all test center rules to avoid any consequences.

4. Can I use my cellphone for the GRE calculator section?

No, the GRE test has a built-in calculator for the calculator section. You are not allowed to use your own device, including cellphones, for this section of the exam.

5. Can I bring my cellphone to the GRE test center if it is turned off?

No, cellphones are not allowed in the GRE test center, even if they are turned off. It is important to leave your cellphone at home or store it in a locker provided by the test center to avoid any issues during the exam.