Bringing an Old Robot Radio to Life: Building an AM/FM Receiver

In summary, the conversation is about building an AM/FM receiver and the speaker is seeking information on the involvement of modulation basics, decoding signals, and the use of IC's, inductors, and filters. They also mention a potentially useful resource found on Google.
Lancelot59
Hey PF, I want to resurrect an old robot radio I have sitting around. What exactly is involved with building an AM/FM receiver?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Well I know how the signal is modulated. I'm just curious as to what is involved with de-coding the signals. I've heard of IC's and inductors being used. Also are any filters needed to clean up the signal?

Related to Bringing an Old Robot Radio to Life: Building an AM/FM Receiver

1. What materials are needed to build an AM/FM receiver?

To build an AM/FM receiver, you will need a variety of electronic components such as resistors, capacitors, diodes, transistors, and integrated circuits. You will also need a breadboard, wires, a soldering iron, and a power supply. Additionally, you will need an antenna and a speaker to receive and play the radio signals.

2. What skills are required to build an AM/FM receiver?

Building an AM/FM receiver requires a basic understanding of electronic circuits and components. It is also helpful to have experience with soldering and using a breadboard. A strong attention to detail and the ability to follow instructions accurately are also important skills to have for this project.

3. Can an old robot radio be used to build an AM/FM receiver?

Yes, an old robot radio can be repurposed to build an AM/FM receiver. However, it is important to make sure that the radio is in good working condition and has all the necessary components before starting the project. It may also require some modifications to the original design to incorporate the new AM/FM receiver circuit.

4. How long does it take to build an AM/FM receiver?

The time it takes to build an AM/FM receiver can vary depending on the complexity of the design and the skill level of the builder. It can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days to complete the project. It is important to take your time and follow the instructions carefully to ensure a successful build.

5. Is it possible to improve the sound quality of an old robot radio with an AM/FM receiver?

Yes, it is possible to improve the sound quality of an old robot radio by adding an AM/FM receiver. The receiver will allow you to pick up a wider range of radio signals, which can result in clearer and more consistent sound. However, the overall sound quality will also depend on the condition and capabilities of the speaker and other audio components in the radio.