Bridges and Archimedes' principle

In summary, if the sand is distributed evenly over the surface of the barge then it will not add to the height of the sand pile. If the sand is added to the barge, the barge will sink and may not pass under the bridge. Removal of sand would be the answer.
jrd007
I was reading some of my physics chapter and cam across an interesting question, which I am sure someon here can answer. It just interested me, so here it is.

A barge filled high with sand approaches a low bridge over the river and cannot quite pass under it. Should sand be added to, or removed from, the barge? (Hint: Consider Archimedes' principle)

My instinct is to say more sand...

Physics news on Phys.org
Your "instinct" says more sand but what does your logic and reason say?

Oh, so it is not a trick question?

Of course logic says less sand.

Okay, let's test that logic.

If you add sand, what happens to the height of that sand pile? :)

Tide said:
Okay, let's test that logic.
If you add sand, what happens to the height of that sand pile? :)

If the sand is dense enough it may sink the boat in the water more then it adds to the pile in height.

Last edited:
Good! There is one caveat, however. The answer depends on how the new sand is distributed so we need to compare the change in height of the sandpile with the change in "depth" of the barge. Suppose we distribute the new sand with uniform depth over some area, a, and the barges cross section at the water line is A then Archimedes tells us

[tex]\rho_s a \Delta h = \rho_w A \Delta D[/tex]

If the barge is to pass under the bridge then we require

[tex]\Delta h < \Delta D[/tex]

so that

[tex]\rho_s a > \rho_w A[/tex]

This is clearly satisfied if the cross section over which you distribute the new sand is the same as that of the barge (which I think your textbook intends). However, if you distribute the sand over a sufficiently small area then the barge won't pass under the bridge.

Of course, if the barge sinks, then, by definition, it isn't passing under the bridge! :)

Sand has greater density than water but if would need to be added over a significant cross section of the barges surface. Pileing it up probably wouldn't help.

Oh yeah, don't forget about the Tide!

Dmstifik8ion said:
Oh yeah, don't forget about the Tide!

Excellent point! :smile:

That makes sense. So sand should be removed.

From the river bottom

Yes, so the answer would be to remove some sand.

jrd,

No, we didn't say that! The answer depends on HOW you do it! If it's spread over a large enough area then adding sand will work.

jrd007 said:
I was reading some of my physics chapter and cam across an interesting question, which I am sure someon here can answer. It just interested me, so here it is.
A barge filled high with sand approaches a low bridge over the river and cannot quite pass under it. Should sand be added to, or removed from, the barge? (Hint: Consider Archimedes' principle)
My instinct is to say more sand...

Your instincts are good. Archimede's principle says that an object will sink into water until it displaces its weight in water (that is, the water displaced will weigh as much as the object itself. The more weight, the more water must be displaced which the barge does by sinking lower into the water.

The question here is which has greater mass density water or sand? Does sand sink in water or float? Which has greater surface area, the surface of the top of the barge or the footprint of the barge in the water?

The only stumbling block I see to coming to a decision here is whether the additional sand can be distrubuted evenly over the surface of the barge or would it need to be bagged up so that it would not spill over the sides. This may be considered an academic concern but I believe the point should be addressed in stating your solution to the problem.

Related to Bridges and Archimedes' principle

1. What is the significance of bridges in relation to Archimedes' principle?

Bridges play a crucial role in demonstrating Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force acting on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. Bridges are able to span large bodies of water because of this principle, as the weight of the bridge is balanced by the buoyant force of the water it displaces.

2. How does Archimedes' principle affect the design and construction of bridges?

Archimedes' principle influences the design and construction of bridges in several ways. Engineers must take into account the weight of the bridge and the buoyant force of the water when determining the size and placement of support structures. Additionally, the shape and curvature of the bridge must also be carefully considered to ensure that it can withstand the forces of buoyancy and gravity.

3. Can Archimedes' principle be applied to different types of bridges?

Yes, Archimedes' principle can be applied to all types of bridges, including suspension, arch, and beam bridges. However, the way in which the principle is applied may differ depending on the design and materials used in the construction of the bridge.

4. How does Archimedes' principle relate to the stability of bridges?

Archimedes' principle is essential in ensuring the stability of bridges. The principle dictates that the buoyant force acting on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. This means that for a bridge to remain stable, the weight of the bridge must be equal to or less than the buoyant force exerted by the water. Engineers must carefully consider this principle when designing and constructing bridges to ensure their stability.

5. Are there any limitations to Archimedes' principle in the context of bridges?

While Archimedes' principle is a fundamental concept in bridge design, there are some limitations to its application. For example, the principle assumes that the fluid is at rest and that the object is completely submerged. However, in real-life scenarios, bridges may be subject to moving water and only partially submerged. These factors must be taken into consideration when applying Archimedes' principle to bridge design.