Bridge Building with Pasta Assignment

In summary, the conversation revolved around a physics assignment involving building a bridge out of pasta and glue. The group discussed different types of pasta and glue that would be most suitable for the project, as well as potential design ideas. One member shared a photo of a previous pasta bridge design and discussed the importance of considering stress distribution in the design.
Namic56
Hey, my physics teacher handed us this assigment and said have fun. He didn't explain what to do or go over how bridges work. So I was wondering if anyone here has done something similar to this. I believe I can work out the design, but what kind of pasta and glue would be most appropiate to get this done by, Dec.2 2004. Please respond soon!

Here is a link for the paper he gave us, this is all the information he gave us! :cry:
http://199.120.90.185/~msoukup/100_1643.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here are just a few ideas I would play with.

-Make the road out of lasagna. The solid pieces will provide a great base for gluing extra supports on.

-Any/all support beams should be made out of ritagoni. The tubular design gives the best moment of inertia (resistance to bending) for the mass.

-If possible, make the bridge bend upwards so the middle is the highest part on the bridge. This will make the structure fail due to brittleness instead of the huge bending moment resulting from a bridge bending downwards.

-Any glue used in the process should be epoxy. Normal white glue just isn't strong enough, and hot glue from a glue gun might be too heavy.

Here's an old pasta bridge design I made a long time ago with Photoshop.
http://img96.exs.cx/img96/9376/PastaBridge.jpg

Regards,
Garret

Shawn, why would I make it bend upwards to make it brittle? does it make it support the weight longer, or does it just make it fail in a different way.

Garrett, Have you actually tested your design?

Namic56 said:
Garrett, Have you actually tested your design?

Well the picture I supplied you with is just a rough sketch to get ideas going. The detailed design was actually really good. If I recall correctly we supported 15 kilograms. We found after that we should have spent more time looking at the angles and how to spread the stress out better.

Regards,
Garret

Related to Bridge Building with Pasta Assignment

1. How do I start building a bridge with pasta?

To start building a bridge with pasta, you will need to gather your materials including pasta (such as spaghetti or linguine), glue, and a flat surface. You will also need to have a design in mind and a plan for how you will construct the bridge.

2. What type of pasta is best for building a bridge?

The best type of pasta for building a bridge is long, thin pasta such as spaghetti or linguine. These types of pasta have a high strength-to-weight ratio and can withstand the weight of the bridge without breaking.

3. How do I ensure my bridge is strong and stable?

To ensure your bridge is strong and stable, it is important to follow a few key steps. First, make sure your pasta pieces are evenly spaced and glued together tightly. You can also reinforce your bridge by adding additional layers of pasta or using sturdy materials such as toothpicks or popsicle sticks for support.

4. Can I add weight to my bridge to test its strength?

Yes, you can add weight to your bridge to test its strength. It is recommended to start with small amounts of weight and gradually increase it to see how much weight your bridge can hold before breaking. Remember to record your results and make adjustments to your design as needed.

5. How can I make my bridge stand out visually?

There are many ways to make your bridge stand out visually. You can use different types of pasta for a unique look, add decorations or paint to your bridge, or incorporate different shapes or designs into your structure. Just remember to keep the overall strength and stability of your bridge in mind while adding visual elements.