Bridge Beam Shapes: Why Are They Different?

In summary, there are two bridges, one older and one newer, located next to each other over a river. The newer bridge is made of concrete and has a minimal thickness at the mid-span, while the older bridge, made of steel with concrete piers, has a maximum thickness at the mid-span. This is because the newer bridge is constructed as a shallow arch using the cantilever principle, which allows concrete to withstand compression better than tension. The older bridge, on the other hand, appears to be a deck truss with a plate girder that supports the loads as a beam. This design requires the maximum thickness to be at the mid-span to reduce bending stress. This difference in design is due to various factors such as the
rollingstein
Gold Member
I pass a river with two bridges on it, right next to each other. One older, one newer.

The newer one is all concrete construction & the shape of its spans makes intuitive sense to me i.e. minimum thickness at mid span. Like this sketch:

xjSJmI1.jpg

The older one has sort of the opposite shape with max girder thickness at mid span. Intuitively I cannot figure why this would be chosen so? Any thoughts? I have a sketch below.

BOERZpl.jpg

If it matters the girders in the older bridge are steel with concrete piers.

Basically, does it make sense to have a beam that is thickest (deepest?) at the center? I find odd that two bridges will have the optimal beam shape exactly opposite.

Engineering news on Phys.org
rollingstein said:
I pass a river with two bridges on it, right next to each other. One older, one newer.

The newer one is all concrete construction & the shape of its spans makes intuitive sense to me i.e. minimum thickness at mid span. Like this sketch:

xjSJmI1.jpg

This newer concrete bridge appears to be constructed as a shallow arch on the cantilever principle. As a load moves between the piers of this type of bridge, the bridge structure is designed to remain in compression, which concrete can withstand quite well. If concrete is put into tension, things get trickier, and steel must be added to take the tension, as concrete has very low tensile strength, and the design of the structure is more complicated.

Arch bridges have traditionally had a very solid and heavy appearance. With new pre-stressed concrete construction techniques becoming available over the last century or so, bridge engineers have been able to develop arch bridge designs which are quite light in appearance, while maintaining great strength.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantilever_bridge

The older one has sort of the opposite shape with max girder thickness at mid span. Intuitively I cannot figure why this would be chosen so? Any thoughts? I have a sketch below.

BOERZpl.jpg

If it matters the girders in the older bridge are steel with concrete piers.
This older bridge appears to be a type of deck truss, where the truss work is built below the road surface. There are a dizzying array of different types of truss bridge construction, which can be seen in this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truss_bridge

Truss bridges can be fabricated from a number of simple parts and erected rather quickly, in comparison with other methods of construction.

Basically, does it make sense to have a beam that is thickest (deepest?) at the center? I find odd that two bridges will have the optimal beam shape exactly opposite.

There are many factors which go into the design of a bridge. The length of span, amount of clearance below midspan for any other road or water traffic, aesthetics, cost, etc. Sometimes, the structural considerations wind up down the list.

SteamKing said:
This older bridge appears to be a type of deck truss, where the truss work is built below the road surface. There are a dizzying array of different types of truss bridge construction, which can be seen in this article:

Didn't seem like a truss to me. At least not what I think of as a truss. This below is what I think of as a truss:

atlas-884-ho-oo-scales-deck-truss-bridge-kit-code-100-21890-p.jpg

But if it looks like a single solid steel plate from the side, is that a truss too? The older bridge spans looks more like this element below but in that trapezoidal shape. The main question I had was why one might want to put most metal at mid span instead of at the support.

Capitol-Steel-Girder-004.jpg

rollingstein said:
Didn't seem like a truss to me. At least not what I think of as a truss. This below is what I think of as a truss:

atlas-884-ho-oo-scales-deck-truss-bridge-kit-code-100-21890-p.jpg

But if it looks like a single solid steel plate from the side, is that a truss too? The older bridge spans looks more like this element below but in that trapezoidal shape. The main question I had was why one might want to put most metal at mid span instead of at the support.

Capitol-Steel-Girder-004.jpg

No, that's a regular plate girder. The structural principle is similar, though, to a deck truss. The plate girder supports the loads on the bridge as a beam, which means that a bending moment is generated in the span, which will be a maximum midway between supports. The way to reduce bending stress in a beam is to increase its depth in way of where the maximum bending moment will occur.

SteamKing said:
No, that's a regular plate girder. The structural principle is similar, though, to a deck truss. The plate girder supports the loads on the bridge as a beam, which means that a bending moment is generated in the span, which will be a maximum midway between supports. The way to reduce bending stress in a beam is to increase its depth in way of where the maximum bending moment will occur.

Ah! That makes sense then.

I think I get where my confusion arose from:

The Bending Moment of a simple beam maxes out at its midpoint whereas for a cantilever it maxes out at the support. Correct?

If so, that explains intuitively why one bridge design needed max material at mid-span & the other at the support.

rollingstein said:
Ah! That makes sense then.

I think I get where my confusion arose from:

The Bending Moment of a simple beam maxes out at its midpoint whereas for a cantilever it maxes out at the support. Correct?

Correct.

If so, that explains intuitively why one bridge design needed max material at mid-span & the other at the support.

The bridge over the Firth of Forth in Scotland is one of the crowning achievements of Victorian engineering which is still in use today:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forth_Bridge

This photo of the the 2 men supporting a third man suspended between them is a striking illustration of the cantilever concept:

800px-Cantilever_bridge_human_model.jpg

Likes BrentS

Related to Bridge Beam Shapes: Why Are They Different?

1. Why do different bridge beam shapes exist?

Bridge beam shapes are designed based on a variety of factors including the type of bridge, the span length, the expected load, and the materials used. Different shapes have different structural properties and are chosen to provide the most efficient and safe design for a particular bridge.

2. What are the most common bridge beam shapes?

The most common bridge beam shapes include I-beams, box beams, and truss beams. These shapes are widely used because they provide good strength and stiffness while being relatively easy to manufacture and transport.

3. How do different beam shapes affect the strength of a bridge?

Different beam shapes have different strengths and stiffnesses, which can affect the overall strength of a bridge. For example, box beams are generally stronger than I-beams, but may be more expensive to manufacture.

4. Are certain beam shapes used for specific types of bridges?

Yes, certain beam shapes are more commonly used for specific types of bridges. For example, truss beams are often used for long-span bridges, while box beams are common for shorter span bridges. The type of bridge and its intended use will play a role in determining the most appropriate beam shape.

5. How are bridge beam shapes tested for safety?

Bridge beam shapes are tested for safety through a variety of methods, including computer simulations, physical load testing, and analysis of past performance data. Engineers also take into account factors such as expected traffic volume, weather conditions, and potential hazards in the design and testing process.