Question on Reducing Dark Noise in Photodiodes

• Thread starter eNtRopY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Noise
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of reducing the dark current of a photodiode by placing a lens in front of it and whether the intensity per unit area affects the dark noise. It is suggested that changing the technology of the photodiode may be necessary to reduce the dark current, and that cooling the diode or using a current or voltage amplifier may also help. Additionally, adding a resistor or limiting the current may be effective solutions.
eNtRopY
[SOLVED] Question on Reducing Dark Noise in Photodiodes

I realize that this is more of a technology question than a physics question, but our technology forum seems to have been overrun by computer nerds. Anyway, I am wondering if it is possible to reduce the dark current of a diode by placing a lens in front of it. Let's say that in theory, you could take the illumination normally impinged on a diode of a certain surface area and shrink that same intensity down to a smaller area. Does intensity per unit area affect the dark noise in a photodiode?

Please show me some equations.

Thanks.

eNtRopY

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As I remember the dark current is one of the parameters caracterizing a photodiode. So if you want to reduce the dark current you'd have to change the technology in which the photodiode is produced. But I'll take a look at my electronic device course tonight and get back to you.
http://www.ee.bgu.ac.il/~Orly_lab/publictions/OE_Empirical_CMOS_APS_DC_Modeling_Final.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
The dark noise

is largely caused by thermally created hole-electron pairs, to reduce them cool the diode.

Originally posted by Tyger
is largely caused by thermally created hole-electron pairs, to reduce them cool the diode.

Great... except your avoiding my question. Can you increase the signal to noise ratio by making the area smaller?

eNtRopY

Originally posted by eNtRopY
Great... except your avoiding my question. Can you increase the signal to noise ratio by making the area smaller?

eNtRopY

Sorry, didn't mean to do that! Sounds probable, maybe the mfr. will supply noise data on the diodes, I'm sure a lot of that stuff is on line now. Also, reverse biasing the diode slightly might reduce the thermal effect. At least it's simple to try it. The result may depend somewhat on whether you using a current or voltage amplifier for the signal.

I know this might sound simple but ever think about adding a 1k resistor in series to reduce its current. better yet, install a variable resistor to limit the current (like an extra intensity button). Just an idea, also don't forget to take into consideration the wattage suppiled don't want you using a 1/4W when you should be using a 1W resistor.
Dx :wink:

1. What is dark noise in photodiodes?

Dark noise refers to the electrical noise that is produced by a photodiode even when there is no light present. This noise can decrease the signal-to-noise ratio and affect the accuracy of measurements.

2. Why is it important to reduce dark noise in photodiodes?

Reducing dark noise is important because it can improve the sensitivity and accuracy of photodiode measurements. It also helps to minimize errors and improve the overall performance of the photodiode.

3. What are some common techniques for reducing dark noise in photodiodes?

Some common techniques for reducing dark noise in photodiodes include cooling the photodiode, using a low-noise amplifier, and using a smaller photodiode with less surface area. Additionally, using a shorter integration time and shielding the photodiode from external sources of noise can also help reduce dark noise.

4. How does cooling a photodiode help reduce dark noise?

Cooling a photodiode can help reduce dark noise by decreasing the thermal energy in the photodiode. This reduces the number of thermally-generated carriers, which can contribute to dark noise. Lower temperatures also decrease the leakage current in the photodiode, which can further reduce dark noise.

5. Can dark noise be completely eliminated in photodiodes?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate dark noise in photodiodes. However, it can be reduced to a level that is negligible compared to the signal being measured. This can be achieved by using a combination of different techniques, such as cooling, amplification, and shielding, to minimize the effect of dark noise on the measurement.