Breaking Out of a Boring Career: Advancing with a Degree in Physics

In summary: You can't get certified without the degree, and you can't get the degree without completing an ABET accredited engineering program. In summary, the individual is a software engineer with a BS in computer science and 10 years of experience. They are looking for a more scientific career and have been teaching themselves physics. They are considering going back to school to get a BS in physics and are wondering what kind of jobs they could get with that degree, considering their need for a high salary. They also mention their current salary and location, and someone suggests that a BS in physics may not lead to a significant increase in salary. The individual expresses their interest in research and design, and asks what a certified engineer is. It is clarified that a
rockytriton
Hi, I'm currently working as a software engineer, I have a BS degree in computer science and I've been working in the field for about 10 years. I have a lot of experience and am quite good in most areas of software development. The problem is that I'm getting really bored with my career and want to do something more scientific. I've been teaching myself physics through a couple textbooks that I got and I'm currently loving physics and thinking about going back to school to get a BS in physics (probably at umw.edu).

My question is, what kind of jobs could I get with a BS only in physics and would it help having that and a BS in CS? The problem is that I can't really go for something entry level, I have a wife and kids and I'm the only one who works, so I would need to get a position where I could make 100k+ because I can't really afford to get paid much less than I do now. Does anyone have any advice? Should I just give up this dream because it's unrealistic and stick to my current career and just stay bored?

Physics news on Phys.org
rockytriton said:
Hi, I'm currently working as a software engineer, I have a BS degree in computer science and I've been working in the field for about 10 years. I have a lot of experience and am quite good in most areas of software development. The problem is that I'm getting really bored with my career and want to do something more scientific. I've been teaching myself physics through a couple textbooks that I got and I'm currently loving physics and thinking about going back to school to get a BS in physics (probably at umw.edu).

My question is, what kind of jobs could I get with a BS only in physics and would it help having that and a BS in CS? The problem is that I can't really go for something entry level, I have a wife and kids and I'm the only one who works, so I would need to get a position where I could make 100k+ because I can't really afford to get paid much less than I do now. Does anyone have any advice? Should I just give up this dream because it's unrealistic and stick to my current career and just stay bored?
I don't think 100k is realistic for a "first timer" if you know what I mean. I'm not saying that it is impossible, but that is a LOT of money, but I guess it depends where you live, too. If you are making 100k as a software engineer, I would stick with it. I know doctor's of CS who make a lot less than that.

yea location makes a huge difference, I live in DC where a small town house costs 700k

rockytriton said:

Unless you're wanting to go into more into hardware engineering that software engineering, a BS in physics doesn't do much for you. BS graduates don't work as physicists. I know some people who get their BS and choose not to do grad school either choose to teach high school, or they go to companies like Raytheon, Lockheed, Agilent, Northrop Grumman, etc. You probably wouldn't be looking at a pay cut, but it wouldn't be much of a raise either.

not really looking for a raise in money, just a raise in interest in my work.

rockytriton said:
not really looking for a raise in money, just a raise in interest in my work.

Well as I said, the BS graduates I know that have not gone to grad school work in defense, electronics, or other engineering-centric companies usually. The starting salaries that people I know have been offered are usually around $60k, but someone with two BSs and some years of experience wouldn't get a starting salary. You'd probably be doing hardware research/design type stuff (since you can't technically work as a certified engineer with a physics degree).

As a caveat this is just based on what I've heard from graduating seniors in the physics department.

this sounds like the kinda stuff that I would like to do, research and design. Excuse my ignorance, but what is a certified engineer? Someone with a mechanical engineering degree?

rockytriton said:
this sounds like the kinda stuff that I would like to do, research and design. Excuse my ignorance, but what is a certified engineer? Someone with a mechanical engineering degree?

In general in order to work as an engineer you have to certified by a state licensing board (this isn't true of software work, but it is true of fields where people tend to die when you mess up, mech engineering, aero engineering, architecture engineering, etc.). In order to be certified, you have to have an appropriate engineering degree, people with a BS in physics generally can't be certified engineers.

I think you should check out Computer/Electrical Engnieering. I think that would be your best bet to get a high paying job with only a BS.

Nothing000 said:
I think you should check out Computer/Electrical Engnieering. I think that would be your best bet to get a high paying job with only a BS.

ok, what if I decided to go on for an MS? Would that be any different or do I pretty much need to get a PhD to do anything worthwhile in physics?

rockytriton said:
ok, what if I decided to go on for an MS? Would that be any different or do I pretty much need to get a PhD to do anything worthwhile in physics?

Depends on what you consider worthwhile. To work in academic research you pretty much need a PhD (or be on your to getting one). To work in industry research, this is not necessarily the case.

Related to Breaking Out of a Boring Career: Advancing with a Degree in Physics

1. What career opportunities are available with a degree in physics?

With a degree in physics, there are a variety of career paths you can pursue. Some common options include working in research and development, engineering, data analysis, and teaching. You can also apply your physics knowledge to fields such as technology, finance, and healthcare.

2. Can I break into a new career with a degree in physics if I have no previous experience?

Yes, a degree in physics can open up new career opportunities even if you have no previous experience in the field. Many employers value the analytical and problem-solving skills that come with a physics degree, making it a valuable asset in a variety of industries. You can also gain practical experience through internships or entry-level positions in your desired field.

3. How can I use my physics degree to advance in my current career?

A degree in physics can help you advance in your current career by providing you with a strong foundation in critical thinking and problem-solving. This can lead to opportunities for leadership roles, as well as promotions within your field. Additionally, you can use your physics knowledge to develop new skills and take on new projects in your current job.

4. Are there any specific skills or qualities that are important for a successful career in physics?

In addition to a strong background in mathematics and science, successful physicists possess excellent analytical and critical thinking skills. They also have a keen attention to detail and strong communication skills. Other important qualities include curiosity, creativity, and the ability to work well under pressure.

5. What are some tips for breaking out of a boring career with a degree in physics?

To break out of a boring career with a degree in physics, it's important to network and make connections in your desired field. Attend industry events, join professional organizations, and reach out to alumni or professionals in your network for advice and potential job opportunities. It's also important to continuously update your skills and knowledge through courses, certifications, or advanced degrees. Finally, be open to taking risks and trying new things to find the right fit for your career goals.