Breaking news about twin prime conjecture.

In summary, this article states that there are infinitely many pairs of prime numbers, but they are not twins, siblings, or cousins. They can be 70 million apart.
Mathematics news on Phys.org
From what I understood, this is not a proof of the Twin Prime Conjecture itself. The result states that there are infinitely many pairs of primes, but these primes are not twins, or siblings, or even cousins. They can be 70 million apart. In Russian, such relatives are called "seventh water on a kissel" (don't ask me why). But previously it was not known whether there is any finite number $n$ such that there are infinitely many pairs of primes at most $n$ apart. There is hope of reducing the 70 million number, but it is not clear how hard it would be to reduce it all the way to 2.

For me 70 million is still more like infinity.

mathmaniac said:

As one of my professors said, in relation to the cardinality of the Monster group, "It's cheating to call that finite."

Evgeny.Makarov said:
From what I understood, this is not a proof of the Twin Prime Conjecture itself. The result states that there are infinitely many pairs of primes, but these primes are not twins, or siblings, or even cousins. They can be 70 million apart. In Russian, such relatives are called "seventh water on a kissel" (don't ask me why). But previously it was not known whether there is any finite number $n$ such that there are infinitely many pairs of primes at most $n$ apart. There is hope of reducing the 70 million number, but it is not clear how hard it would be to reduce it all the way to 2.

You are right. Although the title of the article says 'First Proof of TPC'

- - - Updated - - -

I think 70 million is same as 2 for analysts.

caffeinemachine said:
I think 70 million is same as 2 for analysts.

Agreed :rolleyes:

mathmaniac said:

I can assure you that 70 million is still infinitely smaller than infinity.

Also, we can assure that the infinite $\aleph_0$ is still infinitely smaller than the infinite $2^{\aleph_0}$. :)

Pick any infinite set with any cardinality greater than Aleph Null and call that infinite set S.

The Powerset of S has larger cardinality than S itself and therefore higher level of infinity. Repeat the process ad infinitim (what's going to stop you?) to see that the increasing levels of infinity are infinite.

For any given infinity there is always a higher infinity.

It is amazing what you can accomplish simply by asking your students to sit down.

:)

Related to Breaking news about twin prime conjecture.

1. What is the twin prime conjecture?

The twin prime conjecture is a mathematical statement that suggests there are infinitely many pairs of prime numbers that are two numbers apart, such as 41 and 43 or 71 and 73. It has been a long-standing unsolved problem in number theory.

2. What is the significance of breaking news about the twin prime conjecture?

Breaking news about the twin prime conjecture would mean that a proof has been found to confirm the conjecture, solving a problem that has puzzled mathematicians for centuries. It would also have implications for other unsolved problems in number theory and could potentially advance our understanding of prime numbers.

3. Who made the breakthrough in the twin prime conjecture?

At this time, there is no specific individual or team that has made a breakthrough in the twin prime conjecture. There have been many attempts and contributions from mathematicians over the years, but as of now, the conjecture remains unsolved.

4. How was the proof for the twin prime conjecture achieved?

The proof for the twin prime conjecture has not yet been achieved. It is a very difficult problem and requires advanced mathematical techniques and innovations to be solved. Mathematicians continue to work on finding a proof for this conjecture.

5. What are the potential implications of proving the twin prime conjecture?

Proving the twin prime conjecture would not only solve a long-standing problem in number theory, but it could also lead to advancements in other areas of mathematics. It could also have practical applications in fields such as cryptography and computer science. Additionally, it would open up new avenues for research and exploration in the world of prime numbers.