Break down CaCO3 into its constituents

• Thread starter rww63
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Break
In summary, the question is asking for the daily throughput of a reverse osmosis plant in order to supply 4.5 million litres of drinking water per day with a minimum total hardness of 60mg l-1 as Ca. The given information includes a table with the total hardness at feed being 660 and at permeate being 4. The solution requires breaking down CaCO3 into its constituents, but the poster is unsure how to do this and is seeking guidance. They also mention being new to both the sciences and the website and do not want an exact answer, only a clue on how to approach the question.
rww63

Homework Statement

in order for a well to supply 4.5 million litres of drinking water per day, at a minimum total hardness of 60mg l-1 as Ca, calculate the daily throughput of the reverse osmosis plant assuming that 30% of the feed to the plant comes out as reject.

Homework Equations

a table provides the following info:
total hardness (as mgl-1 CaCO3) at feed is 660 but at permeate it is 4

The Attempt at a Solution

i suspect i must break down CaCO3 into its constituents however i can't remember how to do this. Iwould be very grateful for a pointer in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
guys I am only a newbie to both the sciences and this great website, I am not looking for an exact answer but just a clue of how to tackle this question. if any further questions is needed please reply, i really am going off my head trying to get over this mental block I am having.

Perhaps you should post this under the "Other Sciences" sub-forum, also under Homework & Coursework Questions

Related to Break down CaCO3 into its constituents

1. What is CaCO3 and why is it important to break it down into its constituents?

CaCO3 is the chemical formula for calcium carbonate, a compound commonly found in rocks, shells, and minerals. It is important to break it down into its constituents because it allows us to understand the individual components of this compound and their properties, as well as to use these components for various practical applications.

2. What are the constituents of CaCO3?

The constituents of CaCO3 are calcium (Ca), carbon (C), and oxygen (O). Calcium and carbon make up the majority of the compound, while oxygen is present in smaller amounts.

3. How can CaCO3 be broken down into its constituents?

CaCO3 can be broken down into its constituents through a process called thermal decomposition, where it is heated to high temperatures. Another method is through chemical reactions, such as reacting it with an acid to produce calcium chloride and carbon dioxide gas.

4. What are the uses of the constituents of CaCO3?

Calcium is commonly used in construction materials, such as cement and mortar, as well as in supplements for bone health. Carbon is used in a variety of industries, including the production of steel and plastics. Oxygen is essential for respiration and also used in various industrial processes.

5. Are there any environmental concerns with breaking down CaCO3 into its constituents?

There can be environmental concerns with the large-scale breakdown of CaCO3 into its constituents, as it releases carbon dioxide gas which contributes to climate change. However, in small-scale applications, the process can be controlled and the released carbon dioxide can be captured and stored. Proper disposal and management of the resulting calcium chloride and other byproducts should also be considered.