Brass Compression: Solving For ΔL

In summary, to find the amount of compression in a brass bar, one can use the equation ΔL = FL/YA, where ΔL is the change in length, F is the applied force, Y is Young's Modulus, and A is the cross-sectional area. By substituting the given values, the bar is compressed by approximately .0011 m.
kboykb

Homework Statement

A 1.8- m long brass bar has a square cross section 1.3 cm on an edge. The bar is compressed by a force of 9.0×10^3 N applied to its ends. By how much does the bar shorten (in m)?

Homework Equations

There is an example in our book explaining how to use a variation of Young's Modulus. ΔL = FL/YA

The Attempt at a Solution

Change 1.3 cm into .013 m.

(9.0x10^3 N)(1.8m) / (91 x 10^9 N/m^2)(.013^2) = .0011 m

I squared .013 since it's the area squared.. and the 91 x 10^9 is the value for brass in the Elastic Moduli.

Of course this is wrong, but not sure what I'm not doing quite right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind guys, that turned out to be the CORRECT answer.

The online Homework program had the answer listed as .00105 m

Since I was putting .0011 in it did not accept my answer. Go figure *sigh*

Related to Brass Compression: Solving For ΔL

1. What is "Brass Compression"?

Brass compression is a phenomenon that occurs when a brass material is subjected to external forces, causing it to deform or change in shape.

2. What is "ΔL" in relation to brass compression?

"ΔL" is a symbol used to represent the change in length that occurs when a brass material is compressed. It is an important factor in understanding and calculating brass compression.

3. How does brass compression affect the strength of brass materials?

Brass compression can have a significant impact on the strength of brass materials. It can cause the material to become weaker and more susceptible to deformation or breakage.

4. What factors can influence the amount of "ΔL" in brass compression?

The amount of "ΔL" in brass compression can be influenced by several factors, including the type and composition of the brass material, the amount of force applied, and the temperature at which the material is compressed.

5. How can "ΔL" be calculated in brass compression?

"ΔL" can be calculated using the formula ΔL = F * L / AE, where F is the applied force, L is the original length of the material, A is the cross-sectional area, and E is the modulus of elasticity of the brass material.