What's the craziest lab experience involving thermocouples and liquid nitrogen?

In summary, the conversation revolved around sharing various crazy and memorable experiences in a lab setting. These ranged from accidentally plugging electrolytic capacitors into an electrical outlet and causing an explosion, to using a ball-peen hammer to implode a cathode ray tube, and even conducting experiments with dangerous chemicals like sulphuric acid and liquid nitrogen. The group also shared fun experiences such as dissecting a chicken and observing its reactions, and using magnesium strips near a Bunsen burner. Overall, the conversation highlighted the potential dangers and excitement of working in a laboratory.
Entropia
Post your most crazy/embaressing/memorable etc. experience in lab here

Biology news on Phys.org
Plugging electrolytic capacitors into an electrical outlet, so when the teacher turned on the circuit breaker - BLAM!

...or having him assign us to apply a "ball-peen hammer" for imploding a cathode ray tube out at the dumpster (eye protection?)

I always enjoyed putting the magnesium strips next to the bunson burner. I even "permenently borrowed" a few strips, but they have since been changed into other molecules.

imagine... a whole class of girls crowded around a chicken being dissected by the teacher. a slice of the scalpel and the neck is open, the teacher reaches in, pulls a tendon and the beak and eyes of the chicken open in a very possessed chiken sort of way, people could here the screams for miles.

I have poured concentrated (2M) sulphuric acid, concentrated bleaching solution (containing hypochlorite ion) and potassium iodide solution together! a think layer of bubbles formed on top of the solution inside a 100 cm^3 beaker! Then the whole laboratory was filled with poisonous chlorine gas and iodine gas ! I inhaled quite a lot of the gases, was afraid that I would kill my classmates and myself in the lab. :smile:

KL Kam

Thermocouples and Liquid Nitrogen

I managed to burn myself once with liquid nitrogen . Really hurt as well.

1. What was the craziest thing that ever happened in your lab?

The craziest thing that ever happened in my lab was when one of the lab mice escaped from its cage and climbed onto the ceiling. It took us hours to catch it and it caused quite a commotion in the lab.

2. Have you ever had any dangerous incidents in your lab?

Yes, unfortunately, there have been a few dangerous incidents in my lab. One time, a chemical reaction caused an explosion and we had to evacuate the lab. Luckily, no one was hurt, but it was a scary experience.

3. What was the most surprising result you obtained in your lab?

The most surprising result I obtained in my lab was when a new drug we were testing showed a much higher success rate than we had anticipated. It was a breakthrough discovery that led to further research and development.

4. How do you handle unexpected situations in your lab?

I handle unexpected situations in my lab by staying calm and following proper safety protocols. It's important to have a plan in place for emergencies and to always prioritize the safety of myself and my colleagues.

5. What was the funniest moment you've experienced in your lab?

One of the funniest moments I've experienced in my lab was when a colleague accidentally spilled a beaker of colored liquid on their lab coat and it looked like they had been slimed. We all had a good laugh and then had to help them clean up the mess.