Braking Distance: Increasing Speed by 75% - What Happens?

• Thread starter Morgan89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Braking
In summary: It might be helpful to draw a diagram. Overall, the minimum braking distance will increase by a factor greater than 1, meaning it will take a longer distance to come to a stop as the speed increases.
Morgan89
If the speed of a car is increased by 75%, by what factor will its minimum braking distance be increased, assuming all else is the same? Ignore the driver's reaction time

I'm not sure how to start this problem. I am not sure what to do without any numbers to use in a formula. I do not know any specific variables for acceleration, distance, or time and i am not sure how i am souposed to relate everything to find the answer...help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Please post in the homework forum

Welcome to PF, Morgan. I can't help at all with any math stuff. I will tell you, though, that from both personal experience and basic engineering the relationship between speed and braking time are not directly proportional. The braking distance goes up more than the speed.

Morgan89 said:
If the speed of a car is increased by 75%, by what factor will its minimum braking distance be increased, assuming all else is the same? Ignore the driver's reaction time

I'm not sure how to start this problem. I am not sure what to do without any numbers to use in a formula. I do not know any specific variables for acceleration, distance, or time and i am not sure how i am souposed to relate everything to find the answer...help!

Think about the kinematic equations for constant acceleration and how you might eliminate time as a variable.

Related to Braking Distance: Increasing Speed by 75% - What Happens?

1. What is braking distance?

Braking distance is the distance a vehicle travels from the time the brakes are applied until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.

2. How does increasing speed by 75% affect braking distance?

Increasing speed by 75% will significantly increase the braking distance. This is because the kinetic energy of the vehicle is directly proportional to its speed, meaning a higher speed will require more energy to stop the vehicle.

3. Is there a specific formula for calculating braking distance?

Yes, there is a formula for calculating braking distance. It is: Braking Distance = (Initial Speed)^2 / (2 x Deceleration)

4. How does the type of surface affect braking distance?

The type of surface can have a significant impact on braking distance. A wet or icy surface will increase the braking distance as it reduces the friction between the tires and the road, making it harder for the vehicle to come to a stop.

5. Are there any other factors that affect braking distance?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect braking distance. These include the weight and condition of the vehicle, the condition of the tires, and the reaction time of the driver.