Braket Notation: Is <φ|x+y+z|φ> = <φ|x|φ> + <φ|y|φ> + <φ|z|φ>?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between position operators x, y, and z, and the combined operator r = x + y + z. It is shown that the sum of the individual operators is equal to the combined operator, and that r can also be defined as a vector-valued operator. The conversation then explores the meaning of taking the square of this vector operator.
brydustin
If x,y,z are the position operators.

Is it true that:

<φ|x|φ> + <φ|y|φ> + <φ|z|φ> = <φ | x+y+z| φ> ?

So that if, for example, one wanted to compute <φ|r|φ> (where r =x+y+z), then they would just have to sum the parts.

I know that for scalars, a and b, we have the following:

(a+b)|φ> = a|φ> + b|φ>
But I don't know for sure if this is related at all to the case for operators (especially when they are sandwiched between the bra and the ket.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it's true that [itex]\langle \psi | A + B | \psi \rangle = \langle \psi | A | \psi \rangle + \langle \psi | B | \psi \rangle[/itex]. But I'm not sure where you're going with the substitution [itex]r = x + y + z[/itex]. If you're trying to convert to spherical coordinates, that's not right--you need to do [itex]r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/itex] instead.

Chopin said:
Yes, it's true that [itex]\langle \psi | A + B | \psi \rangle = \langle \psi | A | \psi \rangle + \langle \psi | B | \psi \rangle[/itex]. But I'm not sure where you're going with the substitution [itex]r = x + y + z[/itex]. If you're trying to convert to spherical coordinates, that's not right--you need to do [itex]r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/itex] instead.

I am given the set of overlaps <φ_i|φ_j> and <φ_i|x|φ_j> for all i and j (as well as y and z sets). So that's four sets (the overlaps, and the set with x y and z).

So if I'm given those sets, how do I combine the sets {<φ_i|x|φ_j>, <φ_i|y|φ_j>, <φ_i|z|φ_j>} to get the single set {<φ_i|r|φ_j>}

And the definition of [itex]r[/itex] is [itex]x + y + z[/itex]? Or something else?

Could the following be a solution?

<φ|r|φ> = <φ|x|φ>i-hat + <φ|y|φ>j-hat + <φ|z|φ>k-hat

where i-hat is the unit vector of the x-axis, j-hat is the unit vector of the y-axis, and k-hat is the unit vector of the z-axis.

Chopin said:
And the definition of [itex]r[/itex] is [itex]x + y + z[/itex]? Or something else?

I double checked my notes:

r = x*i-hat +y*j-hat + z*k-hat *(by definition)

Ah, I see, they're defining [itex]r[/itex] as a vector-valued operator. In that case, there's actually no new math here, it's just a notation trick. Specifically, it's a way of unifiying three separate operators together into one object that's easy to keep track of. So we have three operators [itex]\hat{x}, \hat{y}, \hat{z}[/itex], and we're defining the new object [itex]\hat{\textbf{r}} = (\hat{x}, \hat{y}, \hat{z})[/itex].

In this case, applying the operator to a state is really applying three separate operators to the state, and using them to make an ordered triple. [itex]\langle \psi | \hat{\textbf{r}} | \psi \rangle = \langle \psi | (\hat{x}, \hat{y}, \hat{z}) | \psi \rangle = (\langle \psi | \hat{x} | \psi \rangle, \langle \psi | \hat{y} | \psi \rangle, \langle \psi | \hat{z} | \psi \rangle)[/itex].

Final question:

What does it mean to do the following:

(<φ|r|φ> - <ψ|r|ψ>)^2

Obviously if <ψ|r|ψ> is a vector, then the difference of two vectors is straightforward. What does it mean to take their square?

Well, think about what it means to take the square of a normal vector. Since [itex]x^2 = x\cdot x[/itex] (where [itex]x[/itex] is a normal number), then the square of a vector must be [itex]\textbf{r}^2 = \textbf{r} \cdot \textbf{r}[/itex]. By the definition of the dot product, [itex]\textbf{r} \cdot \textbf{r} = r_x^2 + r_y^2 + r_z^2[/itex]. The generalization to the quantum case should be pretty straightforward.

Related to Braket Notation: Is <φ|x+y+z|φ> = <φ|x|φ> + <φ|y|φ> + <φ|z|φ>?

1. What is Braket Notation?

Braket Notation, also known as Dirac Notation, is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent quantum states and operators. It uses the bra-ket notation, where a ket represents a quantum state and a bra represents the conjugate transpose of that state.

2. What is the significance of the equation <φ|x+y+z|φ> = <φ|x|φ> + <φ|y|φ> + <φ|z|φ> in Braket Notation?

This equation represents the superposition principle in quantum mechanics, which states that a quantum state can exist in multiple states simultaneously. In this equation, the ket <φ|x+y+z|φ> represents the combined state of x, y, and z, while the individual terms on the right side represent the contributions of each individual state.

3. How is the equation <φ|x+y+z|φ> = <φ|x|φ> + <φ|y|φ> + <φ|z|φ> derived?

This equation is derived from the properties of quantum operators, including linearity and the inner product. By applying these properties, the equation can be simplified to show that the combined state on the left side is equal to the sum of the individual states on the right side.

4. Can this equation be applied to any quantum state and operators?

Yes, this equation is a general representation of the superposition principle and can be applied to any quantum state and operators. However, it is important to note that the operators must be linear and the states must be orthogonal in order for the equation to hold true.

5. How is Braket Notation used in practical applications?

Braket Notation is used extensively in quantum mechanics, particularly in calculations involving quantum states and operators. It is also used in quantum algorithms, such as in the representation of quantum gates. Additionally, Braket Notation is used in quantum programming languages, making it an essential tool for researchers and scientists in the field of quantum computing.