Brain teasing problem in number theory

In summary, The given 11-digit number, X, can be factorized into 23 × 9901 × 43913. To find the possible four digit divisors of X, we can use the identity (x^4 - x^2 + 1)(x^6 + x^4 - 1) where x=10. This gives us the factors 9901 and 43913. Therefore, the only possible four digit divisor of X is 9901. The sum of the digits of this divisor is 9+9+0+1=19.
sagardip

Homework Statement

Let X=10000000099 represent an eleven digit no. and let Y be a four digit no. which divides X.Find the sum of the digits of the four digit no. Y.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess I have to factorize X. But it is really difficult to do so as i can't find a prime which divides it. Moreover i am in search for a systematic solution and not any trial method.Any help in this regard would be sincerely appreciated. Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
How did you find it out

Here is an approach which is potentially less computation-intensive.

If we call the 11-digit number N, it's easy to see that
N = 10^10 + 10^2 -1, so N = P(10), where
P(x) = x^10 + x^2 - 1.

If you were a genius, I guess it would be obvious that
P(x) = (x^4 - x^2 + 1) (x^6 + x^4 - 1).

Confession: Not being a genius, I used a computer algebra system.
I guess you can drive this identity from x^5 + x - 1 = (x^2 - x + 1) (x^3 + x^2 - 1), but that's not obvious to me either.

If you now let x = 10, we have
N = (10^4 - 10^2 + 1) (10^6 + 10^4 - 1),
and 10^4 - 10^2 + 1 = 9901.

This isn't a complete solution, because it's not clear from the above that 9901 is the only 4-digit divisor.

Last edited:
Thanks
I understood it well and it is a very good solution

Related to Brain teasing problem in number theory

1. What is number theory and how is it related to brain teasers?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with properties of whole numbers and their relationships. Brain teasers in number theory involve using logic and mathematical principles to solve puzzles and problems related to numbers.

2. Are there any common strategies for solving brain teasers in number theory?

Yes, there are some common strategies that can be used to solve brain teasers in number theory. These include breaking the problem into smaller parts, looking for patterns and relationships between numbers, and using trial and error to test different solutions.

3. Can anyone solve brain teasers in number theory or is it only for experts?

Anyone with a basic understanding of number theory and mathematical principles can solve brain teasers in this field. Some problems may be more challenging and require more advanced knowledge, but with practice and persistence, anyone can improve their skills in solving number theory brain teasers.

4. How can solving brain teasers in number theory improve critical thinking skills?

Solving brain teasers in number theory requires logical thinking, problem-solving, and the ability to think outside the box. These skills are essential for critical thinking and can be improved through practice and exposure to different types of problems and puzzles.

5. Are there any real-world applications of solving brain teasers in number theory?

Yes, number theory has many practical applications in fields such as cryptography, computer science, and finance. Solving brain teasers in this field can help improve skills that are valuable in these industries and can also lead to new discoveries and advancements in these fields.