Brain-stroming discussion questions

• Thread starter chinkitkit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Discussion
In summary, the primary mechanism of heat transfer in an oven is radiation, which is slower than conduction. The Earth's temperature is in dynamic equilibrium with the sun and the cosmic microwave background radiation. Heat transfer depends on the difference in temperature and the medium involved.
chinkitkit
all are open to those who like to brain storming like me in physics question...i'm a physics degree student...and you are please welcome and try and comment to me if any...

1. inside an just used oven the temperature is 200*c...
you can put your hand into the oven without and injury you got as long as you didn't touch anything inside the oven...
but the questions is since the air inside the oven also have a 200*c of temperature,but why you hand wouldn't get hurt by the vaporisation of heat of those air...?

2. the sun surface has about 5800k temperature...
according to the zeroth law of thermodynamics,objects always wanted to comes to a point at which is thermal equilibrium...but why the sun do not have thermal equilibrium process with Earth ?

3. a person pours the hot cofee to a cup and because she was so damn busy and she intend to drink it after 6 minute...so to keeps the hot coffee as hot as possible should her put some of the cream on top of the hot coffee or not ?...explain why or why not ?

this is very good brain storming questions for me...i found on books...hopefully you would shared your answer to me...and of course i would like to have shared with you all if you wanted...thanks for trying...welcome...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi chinkitkit, welcome to PF

In the future it may be a good idea to use a more descriptive title for your thread. E.g. this one should have mentioned something to do with heat transfer since that is what all of your questions are about.

1) There are three mechanisms of heat transfer, conduction, convection, and radiation. When you stick your hand in the oven the primary mechanism is radiation, when you touch something the primary mechanism becomes conduction. Conduction is much faster than radiation in this case.

2) The Earth is also in thermal contact with the cosmic microwave background radiation which is about 3K. So the Earth's temperature is in a kind of dynamic equilibrium between the 5800K of the sun and the 3K of deep space.

DaleSpam said:
Hi chinkitkit, welcome to PF

In the future it may be a good idea to use a more descriptive title for your thread. E.g. this one should have mentioned something to do with heat transfer since that is what all of your questions are about.

1) There are three mechanisms of heat transfer, conduction, convection, and radiation. When you stick your hand in the oven the primary mechanism is radiation, when you touch something the primary mechanism becomes conduction. Conduction is much faster than radiation in this case.

2) The Earth is also in thermal contact with the cosmic microwave background radiation which is about 3K. So the Earth's temperature is in a kind of dynamic equilibrium between the 5800K of the sun and the 3K of deep space.
thanks...and sorry to the mistake i did...i apologize for that...because I'm new to here to this physics forum...and thanks for you discussion too...

but for the explanation 1...shouldn't the hot air gas will be attack our hand first...of course here i know that it won't be any hurt but i ignore all those common sense and trying to using physics law to explain this...?

Remember the distinction between heat and temperature. Heat is a transfer of energy from a body at a higher temperature to a body at a lower temperature. Heat is measured in Joules, not Kelvin. For a given difference in temperature, different mechanisms of heat transfer will be faster or slower. For example, you can die by hypothermia after one hour in 10ºC water, but 10ºC air for one hour will only make you uncomfortable. The temperature difference between body temperature and the air or water is the same, but the heat transfer is much more rapid in the water.

Similarly with your example of the oven, the air is high temperature, but the heat transfer rate to your hand is low. The metal in the oven is also a high temperature, but upon contact the heat transfer rate is very high. On the other hand, if you were to stick your head into the oven and inhale a lung-full of the hot gas you would greatly increase the heat transfer rate of the air and quickly damage yourself.

1. The reason why your hand doesn't get hurt by the vaporization of heat from the air inside the oven is because heat transfer occurs through conduction, convection, and radiation. In this case, your hand is not in direct contact with the hot air inside the oven, so there is no conduction of heat from the air to your hand. Additionally, the air inside the oven is not moving, so there is no convection of heat either. As for radiation, the oven walls and racks may be emitting infrared radiation, but this type of radiation does not have enough energy to cause burns on your hand. Therefore, the heat from the air inside the oven is not able to transfer to your hand, and you can safely put your hand inside without getting burned.

2. The sun and the Earth do have a thermal equilibrium process, but it is not a perfect equilibrium. This is due to the fact that the sun is constantly emitting radiation, while the Earth is constantly receiving it. Additionally, the Earth's atmosphere and magnetic field act as a barrier, preventing the Earth from receiving the full intensity of the sun's radiation. This results in a constant balance between the amount of energy absorbed and emitted by the Earth, which is why we can sustain life on our planet.

3. Putting cream on top of the hot coffee can help keep it hot for longer because the cream acts as an insulator. The cream traps air pockets, which act as a barrier to slow down the transfer of heat from the coffee to the surrounding environment. This is similar to how a blanket keeps you warm by trapping air close to your body. However, it is important to note that the cream will eventually cool down and reach the same temperature as the coffee, so it will only delay the cooling process. If the person wants to keep their coffee hot for as long as possible, they should use a well-insulated cup or container and keep it covered to prevent heat from escaping.

Related to Brain-stroming discussion questions

1. What is brainstorming discussion?

Brainstorming discussion is a group activity where individuals come together to generate and share ideas on a specific topic. It is a creative and collaborative process that encourages participants to freely express their thoughts and build upon each other's ideas.

2. How does brainstorming discussion benefit the participants?

Brainstorming discussion can benefit participants in various ways. It allows for the generation of a wide range of ideas, encourages out-of-the-box thinking, and promotes teamwork and communication skills. It also helps in problem-solving, decision-making, and fostering a positive and inclusive work environment.

3. What are some techniques for effective brainstorming discussion?

Some techniques for effective brainstorming discussion include setting clear goals and guidelines, encouraging all participants to contribute, avoiding criticism of ideas, and building upon each other's ideas. Other techniques include using visual aids, having a facilitator to guide the discussion, and taking breaks to allow for reflection and idea generation.

4. What are common challenges faced during brainstorming discussion?

Common challenges faced during brainstorming discussion include participants dominating the conversation, lack of participation from some individuals, fear of judgment or criticism, and difficulty in staying focused on the topic. Other challenges include time constraints, group dynamics, and difficulty in generating new and original ideas.

5. How can brainstorming discussion be adapted for virtual or remote settings?

Brainstorming discussion can be adapted for virtual or remote settings by using online collaboration tools such as video conferencing, virtual whiteboards, and chat platforms. It is important to establish clear communication guidelines, ensure equal participation from all participants, and use visual aids to facilitate idea sharing. Virtual brainstorming can also benefit from the use of breakout rooms for smaller group discussions and regular check-ins to keep the participants engaged.