Bragg's Law (X-Ray Analytical Methods)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Bragg's Law and its application in X-Ray Analytical Methods. The speaker is having trouble understanding why n must always be less than or equal to 2d/λ and why no diffraction will occur if λ is significantly greater than d. The speaker is seeking feedback and direction on how to mathematically prove these concepts.
Kelly Green

Homework Statement

Explain using word, diagrams, and/or calculations..
(1) Why must n always be <= 2d/λ?
(2) If λ is significantly greater then d, why will no diffraction occur?

Homework Equations

Bragg's Law nλ=2dsinθ
n has its maximum when sinθ is 1 (at 90°)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am taking an X-Ray Analytical Methods course. I understand the general concept of Bragg's Law, but am having a hard time answering / proving the two questions above, perhaps I am over thinking it? Any feedback and/or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kelly Green said:
I understand the general concept of Bragg's Law, but am having a hard time answering / proving the two questions above, perhaps I am over thinking it?
What have you tried and what specifically are you having trouble with?

sorry, I didn't put the problem statement in the correct area of the template (edited).

rg: Bragg's Law nλ=2dsinθ - Explain using word, diagrams, and/or calculations..
(1) Why must n always be <= 2d/λ?
(2) If λ is significantly greater then d, why will no diffraction occur?

I understand the concept of constructive and deconstructive interference, but am having a hard time mathematically proving it..

Related to Bragg's Law (X-Ray Analytical Methods)

What is Bragg's Law and how does it relate to X-Ray Analytical Methods?

Bragg's Law is a fundamental principle in X-Ray crystallography that explains the relationship between the diffraction angle of X-rays and the spacing of atomic planes in a crystal lattice. It is based on the idea that when X-rays hit a crystal, they will be diffracted by the atoms in the lattice, resulting in a distinct pattern of diffracted beams. This pattern can then be analyzed to determine the spacing and arrangement of atoms in the crystal.

What is the equation for Bragg's Law?

The equation for Bragg's Law is nλ = 2d sinθ, where n is the order of the diffracted beam, λ is the wavelength of the X-rays, d is the spacing between atomic planes, and θ is the diffraction angle.

What is the significance of Bragg's Law in X-Ray Analytical Methods?

Bragg's Law is essential in X-Ray analytical methods as it allows scientists to determine the atomic structure of materials. By measuring the diffraction angles and using the equation, the spacing between atomic planes can be calculated, providing information about the arrangement of atoms in the crystal lattice. This is useful in a variety of fields, including materials science, chemistry, and biology.

Are there any limitations to using Bragg's Law in X-Ray Analytical Methods?

While Bragg's Law is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the crystal is perfect and has a regular arrangement of atoms, which may not always be the case. It also requires a single crystal sample, which can be challenging to obtain. Additionally, factors such as crystal defects and impurities can affect the accuracy of the results.

How has Bragg's Law been applied in scientific research?

Bragg's Law has been widely applied in scientific research, particularly in the fields of materials science, chemistry, and biology. It has been used to determine the structure of various materials, including proteins, minerals, and polymers. By understanding the atomic structure of these materials, scientists can gain insights into their properties and potential applications. Bragg's Law has also been instrumental in the development of new materials with specific properties, such as superconductors and semiconductors.