How Does Density Affect Calculations in Thermodynamics Problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses two thermodynamic problems involving density. The first problem involves finding the work done by a 1.0kg bar of lead when heated from 25C to 60C at atmospheric pressure. The second problem involves calculating the number of silver atoms in a droplet of silver with a given radius and density. The solution to the first problem is 0.02729J, while the solution to the second problem is 5.3*10^19 atoms. To find the solution for the second problem, the volume and mass of the droplet are first calculated using the given radius and density, and then the molar mass and Avogadro's number are used to find the number of atoms.
Blade
I'm stumped on some of the thermodynamic problems involving density.

Heat a 1.0kg bar of lead at atmospheric pressure from 25C to 60C and find the work done by the lead. (density of lead = 1.13*10^4 kg/m^3)
The only equations I was given was the Ideal Gas Law... which lead is not a gas.. Someone also told me that apparently work=pressure*volume, which also doesn't help. Density is molar mass/volume (I think), which does nothing in this case, since I basically already can determine both those components. Where do I start?

[Answer=.02729J]

A droplet of silver has a radius of .6mm. How many silver atoms are in the droplet. The density of silver is 1.05*10^4 kg/m^3
This sounds simple, but I must be missing a conversion. I'm sure I'm suppose to multiply something by Avogradro's number, but not sure how to get the info from the density and radius.

(Answer=5.3*10^19 atoms)

Physics news on Phys.org
Heat a 1.0kg bar of lead at atmospheric pressure from 25C to 60C and find the work done by the lead. (density of lead = 1.13*10^4 kg/m^3)
The only equations I was given was the Ideal Gas Law... which lead is not a gas.. Someone also told me that apparently work=pressure*volume, which also doesn't help. Density is molar mass/volume (I think), which does nothing in this case, since I basically already can determine both those components. Where do I start?

[Answer=.02729J]
I'm thinking you would need the coefficient for linear expansion for the lead. Then you would have the change in volume. Since the pressure is N/m^2. If you multiply the pressure by the change in volume (m^3), you get Nm which is J.

A droplet of silver has a radius of .6mm. How many silver atoms are in the droplet. The density of silver is 1.05*10^4 kg/m^3
This sounds simple, but I must be missing a conversion. I'm sure I'm suppose to multiply something by Avogradro's number, but not sure how to get the info from the density and radius.

(Answer=5.3*10^19 atoms)

find volume:
v = (4/3)[tex]\pi[/tex]r^3
v = (4/3)[tex]\pi[/tex](0.0006)^3
v = 9.0478*10^-10 m^3

find mass:
(9.0478*10^-10 m^3) * (1.05*10^4 kg/m^3) = 9.5*10^-6 kg = 0.0095g

use molar mass to find mols:
0.0095g * 1mol/107.87g = 8.807*10^-5 mols

use avogadro's number to find atoms:
8.807*10^-5 mols * 6.02*10^23 atoms/mol = 5.30185*10^19 atoms

Yep, still got it :wink:

Hi there,

I can understand how thermodynamics problems involving density can be challenging. Let me try to break it down for you.

First, let's review the definition of density. Density is the mass of a substance per unit volume. In other words, it is how much matter is packed into a certain amount of space. The equation for density is:

Density = Mass/Volume

Now, let's look at the first problem given. We have a 1.0kg bar of lead that is being heated from 25C to 60C. To find the work done by the lead, we need to use the equation:

Work = Pressure * Change in Volume

But wait, we don't have the change in volume. However, we do know that the density of lead is 1.13*10^4 kg/m^3. Using the definition of density, we can rearrange the equation to solve for volume:

Volume = Mass/Density

Since the mass is given as 1.0kg, we can plug that in along with the density to find the volume of the lead bar at 25C. Then, using the Ideal Gas Law (PV=nRT), we can find the volume at 60C. The change in volume will give us the value we need to calculate the work done by the lead.

Now, for the second problem, we have a droplet of silver with a given radius and we need to find the number of silver atoms in it. First, we need to calculate the volume of the droplet using the formula for the volume of a sphere:

Volume = (4/3) * π * radius^3

Once we have the volume, we can use the density of silver to find the mass of the droplet. Then, using the molar mass of silver (107.87 g/mol), we can convert the mass to moles. Finally, we can use Avogadro's number (6.022*10^23) to find the number of atoms in the droplet.

I hope this helps guide you in solving these problems. Remember to always review the definitions and equations involved in thermodynamics and think about how they can be applied in each scenario. Good luck!

1. What is thermodynamics and how does it relate to density?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, energy, and work. Density is a measure of the amount of mass in a given volume. In thermodynamics, density is often used to describe the behavior of materials under different temperatures and pressures.

2. What is the formula for density in thermodynamics?

The formula for density in thermodynamics is ρ = m/V, where ρ is density, m is mass, and V is volume. It is important to note that in thermodynamics, the mass and volume may change due to temperature and pressure changes, thus affecting the density.

3. How does density affect the behavior of materials in thermodynamics?

Density plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of materials in thermodynamics. As temperature and pressure change, the density of a material can change, which can affect its state (solid, liquid, gas), phase transitions, and other thermodynamic properties.

4. What is the relationship between density and the ideal gas law in thermodynamics?

In the ideal gas law, density is directly proportional to temperature and inversely proportional to pressure. This means that as temperature increases or pressure decreases, the density of an ideal gas will decrease. However, in real gases, the relationship may not be linear due to intermolecular forces.

5. How does density affect the efficiency of thermodynamic processes?

Density can affect the efficiency of thermodynamic processes in various ways. For example, in engines, a higher density of the working fluid can result in more power output. In heat transfer, the density of a material can affect its ability to store and transfer heat. In general, a higher density can mean a higher energy density, which can lead to more efficient processes.