Box Slipping and Tipping: Finding the Critical Force P

• Thread starter zeralda21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box Slip
In summary, we have a homogenous box on a surface with static friction μ=0.5. We apply a force on the top of the box at an angle 30 degrees to the horizontal. We have drawn a free-body diagram of the situation and have used the equation (Pcosθ)d+(Psinθ)2d+(N_B)2d-mgd=0 to determine that P=0.448mg for slipping. To find the value of P for the box to tip, we focused on the normal force at point B and discovered that it becomes zero at tipping. After some discussion and corrections, we determined that the correct equation for tipping is P = (mg)/(cosθ+2sinθ)). This is
zeralda21

Homework Statement

We have a homogenous box on a surface with static friction μ=0.5. We apply a force on the top of the box at an angle 30 degrees to the horizontal (see picture) and we want to know for what values of P does the box slip and tip. I have drawn a free-body diagram here of the situation:

http://i.imgur.com/jRh1zqa.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found that for slipping, P=0.448mg but I need help to determine P for the box to tip. If we take the moment(torque) around point C we get;

(Pcosθ)d+(Psinθ)2d+(N_B)2d-mgd=0 and hence P = (mg-2N_B)/(cosθ+2sinθ). How can I get rid of N_B in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: you missed a torque in the torque equation. Just have a look at the FBD again.

darkxponent said:
Hint: you missed a torque in the torque equation. Just have a look at the FBD again.

Do you mean the friction force F_B? Because its line of action is parallel and pass through C and therefore no moment.

oh sorry i didn't see the mgd in equation. So you have taken all the Forces that give torque but still the equation is incorrect. Just see whether the perpendicular distances you have taken are correct?

Correcting it still won't give you the answer. Now focus on N_B. Hows is tipping going to effect it.

darkxponent said:
oh sorry i didn't see the mgd in equation. So you have taken all the Forces that give torque but still the equation is incorrect. Just see whether the perpendicular distances you have taken are correct?

Correcting it still won't give you the answer. Now focus on N_B. Hows is tipping going to effect it.

N_B=0 if it is tipping right? So P = (mg)/(cosθ+2sinθ)) which is correct.

No N_B is not zero when it is tipping. Normal becomes zero only when object leaves the surface. But the answer you got is still correct!. Now try too think what happens to N_B at tipping?

darkxponent said:
No N_B is not zero when it is tipping. Normal becomes zero only when object leaves the surface. But the answer you got is still correct!. Now try too think what happens to N_B at tipping?
I think Zeralda is defining NB as the normal force acting at B (and presumably has NC for a normal force at C, but that has no moment about C). With that definition, NB does go to zero.

haruspex said:
I think Zeralda is defining NB as the normal force acting at B (and presumably has NC for a normal force at C, but that has no moment about C). With that definition, NB does go to zero.

I don't know how to define normal at B and C separately. I thought N_B is the net normal at Base. And that what Zeralda has shown in the FBD( Normal is in the middle of the objects Base). I was trying to say that N_B shifts at point C at tipping and hence its moment is zero.

I also said Zeralda has done some mistake in taking the perpendicular distances. I was talking about N_B, it should be (N_B*d) not (N_B*2d). As we always take normal at the middle of the surface.

Correct me if i am wrong somewhere. I am just a student.

darkxponent said:
I don't know how to define normal at B and C separately. I thought N_B is the net normal at Base. And that what Zeralda has shown in the FBD( Normal is in the middle of the objects Base). I was trying to say that N_B shifts at point C at tipping and hence its moment is zero.

I also said Zeralda has done some mistake in taking the perpendicular distances. I was talking about N_B, it should be (N_B*d) not (N_B*2d). As we always take normal at the middle of the surface.

Correct me if i am wrong somewhere. I am just a student.
I based that on the diagram, which shows separate frictional forces at B and C. It also explains the use of 2d as the multiplier.
In practice, the normal force is distributed over the base. There are two ways to represent this (for the purposes of this question). We can do it as one force which acts in different positions according to the force P, or as two forces, a normal at each of B and C, that vary in relative magnitude. Either way, we agree that on point of tipping the normal force will be entirely at C.

Related to Box Slipping and Tipping: Finding the Critical Force P

1. What factors determine whether the box will slip or tip?

The main factors that determine whether a box will slip or tip include the weight and distribution of the load inside the box, the surface on which the box is resting, and the angle at which the box is positioned.

2. How does the weight and distribution of the load affect the box's stability?

The weight and distribution of the load inside the box can greatly impact its stability. A heavier load or one that is unevenly distributed can increase the likelihood of the box tipping over or slipping on a surface.

3. What type of surface is best for preventing a box from slipping or tipping?

A surface with high friction, such as a rough or textured surface, is best for preventing a box from slipping or tipping. This increases the grip between the box and the surface, providing more stability.

4. Can the angle at which the box is positioned affect its stability?

Yes, the angle at which the box is positioned can play a role in its stability. If the box is resting on an incline or decline, it can increase the likelihood of it slipping or tipping, especially if the surface is smooth.

5. Are there any additional measures that can be taken to prevent a box from slipping or tipping?

Yes, there are several measures that can be taken to prevent a box from slipping or tipping, such as using non-slip mats or adding weights to the bottom of the box. Additionally, ensuring that the box is properly packed and the load is evenly distributed can also help prevent slipping or tipping.