Box on a Board: Finding Minimum Pulling Force

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a small box on a board resting on a frictionless surface. The objective is to determine the minimum force needed to pull the board out from under the box, taking into account the coefficient of static friction between the board and the box. The acceleration of the board when the force of static friction reaches its maximum possible value is also discussed. The solution for the largest possible acceleration is incorrect and a FBD diagram is suggested to correctly determine the forces on the box.
hvthvt

Homework Statement

A small box of mass m1 is sitting on a board of mass m2 and length L. The board rests on a frictionless horizontal surface. The coefficient of static friction between the board and the box is, as usual, less than μs. The board is pulled with a force F, as shown. We wish to know the minimum force necessary to pull the board out from under the box. Express your answers in terms of any of the variables F, L, μs,g, m1 and m2.

Find the acceleration of the board when the force of static friction reaches its maximum possible value.

What is the requirement for the board starting to slide under the box?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I already solved the largest possible acceleration of the box, which is
F=(m1+m2)a up until m1 falls. I do not actually understand how I can find the maximum possible value. This is probably when the acceleration is the largest I guess?.. Can anybody help me out with these two questions please! Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
hvthvt said:
The coefficient of static friction between the board and the box is, as usual, less than μs.
No, that coefficient is usually written μs. It would not be less than μs. Do you mean the coefficient of kinetic friction?
The board is pulled with a force F, as shown. We wish to know the minimum force necessary to pull the board out from under the box.
What did you get for that?
I already solved the largest possible acceleration of the box, which is F=(m1+m2)a
That is not right. F is unlimited, so it would make a unlimited.
Draw a FBD diagram for the box. What are the forces on it?

Related to Box on a Board: Finding Minimum Pulling Force

1. What is the "box on a board" experiment?

The "box on a board" experiment is a classic physics demonstration that involves placing a box on a smooth board and tilting the board at different angles to observe the motion of the box.

2. How does acceleration relate to the "box on a board" experiment?

In the "box on a board" experiment, acceleration refers to the change in velocity of the box as the board is tilted. As the angle of the board increases, the box experiences a greater acceleration and moves faster.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of the box on a board?

The acceleration of the box on a board is affected by the angle of the board, the mass of the box, and the coefficient of friction between the box and the board's surface. Other factors such as air resistance and the shape of the box may also play a role.

4. How can the acceleration of the box on a board be calculated?

The acceleration of the box on a board can be calculated using the formula a = g * sinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of the board.

5. What real-world applications can be demonstrated using the "box on a board" experiment?

The "box on a board" experiment can be used to demonstrate concepts such as gravity, friction, and Newton's laws of motion. It can also be applied to understanding the motion of objects on inclined planes, such as ramps or hills.