Bowling Question - Rotational Motion

In summary, a bowling ball with an initial velocity of 6.00 m/s and no initial rotation slips for half of a 19.0 m distance before making a transition to rolling without slipping. Using equations for linear and angular acceleration, it is determined that the coefficient of kinetic friction between the ball and the floor is approximately 0.0995.
gingerelle

Homework Statement

A uniform, spherical bowling ball of mass m and radius R is projected horizontally along the
floor at an initial velocity v0 = 6.00 m/s. The ball is not rotating initially, so w0 = 0. It
picks up rotation due to (kinetic) friction as it initially slips along the floor. The coefficient of
kinetic friction between the ball and the floor is μk. After a time ts, the ball stops slipping and makes a transition to rolling without slipping at angular speed w(s) and translational velocity v(s).
Thereafter, it rolls without slipping at constant velocity.

If a standard bowling alley is 19.0 m long and the ball slips for half its length, what is the
value of μk?

Homework Equations

1]]] L = Iw
2]]] F = ma
3]]] Torque = r cross F
4]]] x(f) = x(initial) + v0t + 1/2at^2
5]]] theta(f) = theta (i) + w(0)t + 1/2angularacceleration(t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, basically, I found the linear acceleration equation and the angular acceleration of the ball, as well as Ts (and I know these answers are correct). But I just wanted to check if I'm allowed to do the following:

I added equation 4 and equation 5 together, and made it equal to 9.5 metres. But before that, I converted equation 5 into metres by multiplying both sides by (pi X R)/180 degrees ...since 360 degrees turn = 1 circumference travelled.

after I did that, I just subbed time (Ts) equation in (from what I calculated before) and when I isolated uk, I got around 0.0995 (coefficient of friction). But basically, I was just wondering if that's...physically correct..adding the two equations and making it equal 9.5m (half of 19.0 metres, which is the distance that the ball skidded for). thanks and please reply.

Physics news on Phys.org
gingerelle said:

Homework Statement

A uniform, spherical bowling ball of mass m and radius R is projected horizontally along the
floor at an initial velocity v0 = 6.00 m/s. The ball is not rotating initially, so w0 = 0. It
picks up rotation due to (kinetic) friction as it initially slips along the floor. The coefficient of
kinetic friction between the ball and the floor is μk. After a time ts, the ball stops slipping and makes a transition to rolling without slipping at angular speed w(s) and translational velocity v(s).
Thereafter, it rolls without slipping at constant velocity.

If a standard bowling alley is 19.0 m long and the ball slips for half its length, what is the
value of μk?

Homework Equations

1]]] L = Iw
2]]] F = ma
3]]] Torque = r cross F
4]]] x(f) = x(initial) + v0t + 1/2at^2
5]]] theta(f) = theta (i) + w(0)t + 1/2angularacceleration(t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, basically, I found the linear acceleration equation and the angular acceleration of the ball, as well as Ts (and I know these answers are correct). But I just wanted to check if I'm allowed to do the following:

I added equation 4 and equation 5 together, and made it equal to 9.5 metres. But before that, I converted equation 5 into metres by multiplying both sides by (pi X R)/180 degrees ...since 360 degrees turn = 1 circumference travelled.

after I did that, I just subbed time (Ts) equation in (from what I calculated before) and when I isolated uk, I got around 0.0995 (coefficient of friction). But basically, I was just wondering if that's...physically correct..adding the two equations and making it equal 9.5m (half of 19.0 metres, which is the distance that the ball skidded for). thanks and please reply.

[tex]\vec{v}_f^2=36m/s-19m\cdot\vec{a}[/tex]. This final velocity is when it starts picking up angular velocity (id est, [tex]\vec{v}=\vec{r\omega}[/tex]).

I would say that your approach seems valid and your calculation of the coefficient of friction appears to be correct. However, it is always important to double-check your work and make sure that your assumptions and equations are appropriate for the situation. In this case, it may be helpful to also consider the conservation of energy and the work-energy theorem in your analysis. Overall, your method seems reasonable and your answer is consistent with the given information.

Related to Bowling Question - Rotational Motion

1. What is rotational motion in bowling?

Rotational motion in bowling refers to the spinning motion of the bowling ball as it travels down the lane towards the pins. This motion is created by the bowler imparting a spin on the ball with their hand or wrist.

2. How does the amount of rotation affect the bowling ball's path?

The amount of rotation, or spin, on the bowling ball can greatly affect its path down the lane. More rotation can cause the ball to hook or curve more, while less rotation will result in a straighter path. The direction and axis of the rotation can also impact the ball's path.

3. What is the role of friction in rotational motion in bowling?

Friction plays a crucial role in rotational motion in bowling. As the ball travels down the lane, it encounters friction from the lane surface, which helps to slow down or stop the rotational motion. Friction also plays a role in the amount of hook or curve on the ball, as it can cause the ball to grip the lane more or less depending on the surface conditions.

4. How does the axis of rotation affect the motion of the bowling ball?

The axis of rotation refers to the line around which the bowling ball is spinning. This axis can greatly impact the motion of the ball, as it determines the direction and amount of spin. The closer the axis is to the center of the ball, the less hook or curve it will have. If the axis is more towards the outside of the ball, the ball will have a greater hook or curve.

5. What are some techniques for controlling the rotational motion of the bowling ball?

There are several techniques that bowlers use to control the rotational motion of the bowling ball. These include adjusting the amount of spin, changing the axis of rotation, and using different release techniques such as a backhand or two-handed release. Additionally, bowlers can also use different types of bowling balls with varying levels of friction and hook potential to control the rotational motion. Practice and experience also play a crucial role in mastering the control of rotational motion in bowling.