Bowling balls rolling up a ramp (conservation of energy)

In summary: That's where the 1/5 comes from.To make the algebra a bit easier, you can write the total energy asE = KEtrans + KErot = (5/2)mv2That way you don't have to keep track of that 1/5.In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of two identical bowling balls rolling on a horizontal floor without slipping and encountering different ramps. The initial speed of both balls is 9.9 m/s. Ball A encounters a frictionless ramp and reaches a maximum height H_a, while Ball B rolls up a regular ramp and reaches a maximum vertical height H_b. The conversation then goes through the process of solving the problem using conservation of energy equations and rotational kinetic
macaholic
This is from an old course I took. I'm not sure what I'm doing incorrectly.

Homework Statement

Two identical bowling balls are rolling on a horizontal floor without slipping. The initial speed of both balls is V = 9.9 m/s. Ball a encounters a frictionless ramp, reaching a maximum height H_a. Ball B rolls up a regular ramp (i.e. rolls without slipping), reaching a maximum vertical height H_b. Which ball goes higher, and by how much?

Homework Equations

[itex]GPE = mgh[/itex]
[itex]KE_{trans} = \frac{mv^2}{2}[/itex]
[itex]KE_{rot} = \frac{I\omega ^2}{2}[/itex]
[itex]I_{solid-sphere} = \frac{2 M R^2}{5}[/itex]
[itex] \omega = \frac{v}{R}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I just did conservation of energy. Ball a will still have rotational energy when it reaches the top, ball b will not. Both balls start with the same total kinetic energy. Ball a's final GPE will come entirely from its initial translation energy. Ball b's will come from both its rotational and translational kinetic energies. Solving:
[itex] \frac{mv^2}{2} = mgH_a[/itex]
[itex]\frac{mv^2}{2} (1 + \frac{1}{5}) = mgH_b[/itex]
[itex]H_a = \frac{v^2}{2g}[/itex]
[itex]H_b = \frac{3v^2}{5g}[/itex]

However, the answer says that I should get that H_b is "2m" higher than H_a. Did I do something wrong here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should be thinking about it like this: Ball A and B have some total energy, both equal to ##{\frac{1}{2}}mv^2##. The must have the same amount of energy at any point during the motion. Ball A's total energy will be converted entirely into potential energy. Which you have done. Ball B's total energy will be converted into rotational kinectic energy and gravitational potential energy so ##{\frac{1}{2}}mv^2=mgH_b+{\frac{1}{5}}mv^2##

I'm not very familiar with the rotational kinectic energy, so I'm assuming you are right about it. I'm commenting on the setup of your equations.

macaholic said:
Check to make sure the fraction 1/5 is correct here.

Except that both balls don't always have total energy equal to [itex]\frac{mv^2}{2}[/itex]. They're said to be rolling withoutt slipping initially, which means that they have both translattional and rotational kinetic energy, i.e. [itex]KE_{tot} = \frac{mv^2}{2} + \frac{I\omega^2}{2}[/itex].

Ball a is still rolling with when it reaches its highest point, hence its full conservation of energy equation should look like this:
[itex]KE_{trans} + KE_{rot} = GPE + KE_{rot}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{mv^2}{2} + \frac{I\omega^2}{2} = mgH_a + \frac{I\omega^2}{2} [/itex]

That's where my equations come from. I was fairly certain that part was okay but I could be wrong...

macaholic said:
[itex]KE_{rot} = \frac{I\omega ^2}{2}[/itex]
[itex]I_{solid-sphere} = \frac{2 M R^2}{5}[/itex]
[itex] \omega = \frac{v}{R}[/itex]
If you follow your equations from above, you have:

[itex]KE_{b} = \frac{mv^2}{2} + \frac{mv^2}{5}[/itex]

but then you factor out [itex]\frac{mv^2}{2}[/itex] from [itex]\frac{mv^2}{5}[/itex] and get 1/5?

@Tsny, I will try to be more explicit, let's see...

For B:
[itex]KE_{trans} + KE_{rot} = GPE[/itex]
[itex]\frac{mv^2}{2} + \frac{1}{2} \frac{2mR^2\omega^2}{5} = mgH_b[/itex]
[itex]v^2(\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{5}) = gH_b[/itex]
[itex]H_b = \frac{7v^2}{10g}[/itex]

macaholic said:

Where does 1/5 come from?

[itex]H_b = \frac{3v^2}{5g}[/itex]

Why 3/5?

However, the answer says that I should get that H_b is "2m" higher than H_a.

What is 'm'? The unit meaning meters?

macaholic said:
@Tsny, I will try to be more explicit, let's see...

For B:
[itex]KE_{trans} + KE_{rot} = GPE[/itex]
[itex]\frac{mv^2}{2} + \frac{1}{2} \frac{2mR^2\omega^2}{5} = mgH_b[/itex]
[itex]v^2(\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{5}) = gH_b[/itex]

Looks good.

Thanks guys, I stink at algebra apparently haha. So is this stuff about the "2m" nonsense problaby just some sort of weird mistake?

macaholic said:
That fixes it, 7/10 instead of 3/5.

macaholic said:
Thanks guys, I stink at algebra apparently haha. So is this stuff about the "2m" nonsense problaby just some sort of weird mistake?

If 'm' is 'meters', then it makes perfect sense. What number do you get?

macaholic said:

I think the "2m" means 2 meters and not 2 times the mass!

voko said:
What is 'm'? The unit meaning meters?

No idea. It just says "2m higher". I didn't actually plug in the numbers though...

H_a = 5 meters
H_b = 7 meters.

WELP. Mystery solved. It's listed in italics... so I didn't think it was a unit. Thanks again haha.

Thanks for the tag team help everyone :). I feel slightly silly now.

macaholic said:
No idea. It just says "2m higher". I didn't actually plug in the numbers though...

H_a = 5 meters
H_b = 7 meters.

WELP. Mystery solved. It's listed in italics... so I didn't think it was a unit. Thanks again haha.
Yup.

(9.9 m/s )2 = 98.01 m2/s2,

so v2/g is very close to 10 meters.

Related to Bowling balls rolling up a ramp (conservation of energy)

1. How does the conservation of energy apply to bowling balls rolling up a ramp?

The conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In the case of bowling balls rolling up a ramp, the potential energy of the ball at the top of the ramp is converted into kinetic energy as it rolls down the ramp. This energy is then conserved as the ball reaches the bottom of the ramp.

2. Why does a bowling ball gain potential energy as it rolls up a ramp?

As the bowling ball rolls up the ramp, it is moving against the force of gravity. This requires work to be done, which results in an increase in the ball's potential energy. The higher the ball is lifted, the greater its potential energy will be.

3. How does the angle of the ramp affect the conservation of energy for a rolling bowling ball?

The angle of the ramp plays a crucial role in the conservation of energy for a rolling bowling ball. The steeper the angle of the ramp, the more work is required to lift the ball to the same height. This results in a higher potential energy for the ball, which is then converted into a higher kinetic energy as it rolls back down the ramp.

4. Can friction affect the conservation of energy for a rolling bowling ball?

Yes, friction can affect the conservation of energy for a rolling bowling ball. Friction is a force that acts in the opposite direction of motion and can slow down the ball's movement. This means that some of the ball's kinetic energy is converted into heat energy instead of being conserved as it rolls up and down the ramp.

5. Why is the conservation of energy an important concept in understanding the motion of a bowling ball on a ramp?

The conservation of energy is an essential concept in understanding the motion of a bowling ball on a ramp because it helps us understand how energy is transferred and conserved in a system. It allows us to predict the behavior of the ball and the forces acting upon it as it rolls up and down the ramp. Without this understanding, it would be challenging to explain the motion of the ball and make accurate predictions about its behavior.