Bowling ball rolling - velocity, acceleration, time

In summary, a bowler throws a bowling ball of radius 11.0 cm along a lane with an initial speed of 8.10 m/s and an initial angular speed of zero. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the ball and the lane is 0.19, causing a linear acceleration of 1.86 m/s^2 and an angular acceleration of 42.3 rad/s^2. The ball will stop sliding and begin to roll smoothly without slipping when the speed of the centre of mass is equal to the product of the angular acceleration and the radius of the ball. This can be expressed as the equation v = rω, where v is the linear speed, r is the radius, and ω is the angular
mybrohshi5

Homework Statement

A bowler throws a bowling ball of radius 11.0 cm along a lane. The ball slides on the lane with an initial speed of 8.10 m/s and an initial angular speed of zero (i.e. the ball is not spinning at all when it first makes contact with the lane). The coefficient of kinetic friction between the ball and the lane is 0.19.
The kinetic frictional force f_k acting on the ball causes a linear acceleration of the ball while producing a torque that causes an angular acceleration of the ball. When the center-of-mass speed V_cm has decreased enough and the spin rate has increased enough, the ball stops sliding and begins to roll smoothly without slipping.

A) For what length of time does the ball slide?
B) Over what distance does the ball slide?
C) What is the linear speed of the ball when smooth rolling begins?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble coming up with the equations to solve for these.

I found the linear acceleration of the ball from an earlier part a = 1.86 m/s^2

I also found the angular acceleration of the ball from an earlier part [itex]\alpha[/itex] = 42.3 rad/s2

I know i need 3 equations and they will have three unknowns.

This is what i have came up with

V = a*t

[itex]\omega[/itex] = [itex]\alpha[/itex]*t

Are these two right for what i am trying to find? And any help on finding a third equation would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mybrohshi5! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and an alpha: α and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
mybrohshi5 said:
A) For what length of time does the ball slide?
B) Over what distance does the ball slide?
C) What is the linear speed of the ball when smooth rolling begins?[/B]

As you know, the speed of the centre of mass depends only on the (net) force, and the angular acceleration about the centre of mass depends only on the torque about the centre of mass …

now use the definition of rolling, that it happens (ie sliding stops) when v = aω. :smile:

I am a little confused about your explanation and where v=aω comes from? the only equations i have seen dealing with angular velocity and accel are

t = Iα
v = rω

and various alternations of those of course :)

oops!

mybrohshi5 said:
I am a little confused about your explanation and where v=aω comes from?

oops! :redface:

sorry, i meant v = rω. :blushing:

Oh ok thank you. Were my first two equations the right ones to use for this type of problem?

v = at
ω = αt

t being time

Thank you for the help :)

Last edited:
Yup! … you use F = ma with v = at,

and τ = iα with ω = αt. :smile:

Perfect Thank you very much tiny-tim

Related to Bowling ball rolling - velocity, acceleration, time

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration in bowling ball rolling?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In bowling ball rolling, velocity refers to the speed and direction of the ball, while acceleration refers to how quickly the velocity is changing, either increasing or decreasing.

2. How does the weight of a bowling ball affect its velocity?

The weight of a bowling ball does not directly affect its velocity. However, a heavier ball may require more force to be applied in order to achieve the same velocity as a lighter ball. The weight of the ball may also affect the amount of friction between the ball and the lane, which can impact its velocity.

3. What factors can affect the acceleration of a bowling ball rolling down the lane?

The acceleration of a bowling ball can be affected by several factors, such as the force applied to the ball, the weight of the ball, the surface conditions of the lane, and any external forces acting on the ball (such as air resistance). Additionally, the angle and direction of the ball's initial release can also impact its acceleration.

4. How is time related to the velocity and acceleration of a bowling ball rolling?

Time is a crucial factor in determining the velocity and acceleration of a bowling ball rolling down the lane. The longer the ball is in motion, the more time it has to accelerate and increase its velocity. Similarly, if a force is applied to the ball over a longer period of time, it can result in a higher velocity and acceleration.

5. How can I calculate the velocity and acceleration of a bowling ball rolling down the lane?

To calculate the velocity of a bowling ball, you will need to measure the distance it travels over a certain amount of time. The velocity can be calculated by dividing the distance by the time. To calculate the acceleration, you will need to measure the change in velocity over a certain amount of time. The acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time.