Bowling ball goes from sliding to rolling

In summary, the problem involves a bowling ball sliding down an alley with initial speed v0 and eventually transitioning to rolling without sliding due to conservation of angular momentum about a fixed point on the ground. The speed at which it rolls without sliding is determined by equating the angular momentum before and after this transition, yielding a speed of 5/7 v0. The point of contact between the ball and ground is continuously changing, so a fixed point on the ground must be used to conserve angular momentum.
MuIotaTau

Homework Statement

A bowling ball is thrown down the alley with speed ##v_0##. Initially it slides without rolling, but due to friction it begins to roll. Show that its speed when it rolls without sliding is ##\frac{5}{7} v_0##.

Homework Equations

##K= \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + \frac{1}{2} I \omega^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

Because friction does no work in this case, energy is conserved. Equating the energy before and after rolling begins, I get $$\frac{1}{2}Mv_0^2 = \frac{1}{2}Mv^2 + (\frac{1}{2})(\frac{2}{5})MR^2\omega^2$$

Using the fact that ##v = R\omega##, I get $$Mv_0^2 = Mv^2 + \frac{2}{5}Mv^2$$

Solving for ##v##, I get $$v = \sqrt{\frac{5}{7}}v_0$$ What did I do wrong to make me off by a factor of ##\sqrt{\frac{5}{7}}##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy is not conserved until the ball starts to roll without slipping .Initially the ball rolls with sliding ,that means friction does some work .

Energy conservation is not the correct way to approach the problem .Think differently .

Likes 1 person
Tanya Sharma said:
Energy is not conserved until the ball starts to roll without slipping .Initially the ball rolls with sliding ,that means friction does some work .

Energy conservation is not the correct way to approach the problem .Think differently .

Ohhh, I see. Hmmm, well neither angular nor linear momentum are conserved, correct? But angular momentum while sliding is zero, so I could set the torque equal to angular momentum of the ball after slipping takes place, correct? Would I have to do something similar with linear momentum as well? Otherwise I'm not sure how to include ##v_0##.

MuIotaTau said:
Ohhh, I see. Hmmm, well neither angular nor linear momentum are conserved, correct?

Angular momentum is conserved. Can you find a point about which the torque on system is always zero?

Likes 1 person
Oh! The point of contact between the ball and the ground, right? And so using the parallel axis theorem, the moment of inertia about that point is ##\frac{7}{5}MR^2##. And then I can say that ##I\omega = MRv_0##, which gives me the correct result. And the reason I can do that is because torque is zero about that point, which means that the angular momentum is time independent, correct? In other words, if the torque weren't zero, then I would have a time dependence in ##L##?

MuIotaTau said:
Oh! The point of contact between the ball and the ground, right? And so using the parallel axis theorem, the moment of inertia about that point is ##\frac{7}{5}MR^2##. And then I can say that ##I\omega = MRv_0##, which gives me the correct result. And the reason I can do that is because torque is zero about that point, which means that the angular momentum is time independent, correct? In other words, if the torque weren't zero, then I would have a time dependence in ##L##?

Do not consider point of contact between the ball and the ground ,even if it may give correct result.That point is continuously changing .

Instead consider any fixed point on the ground, say P .The torque due to friction about that point P will be zero .Hence Angular momentum will be conserved about P.

The angular momentum of the ball about the fixed point is the sum of angular momentum of the CM(mvR) about P + angular momentum of the ball around the CM(Iω) .

Last edited:
Pranav-Arora said:
Angular momentum is conserved.
Only if you include the angular momentum of the Earth as part of a closed system.

Back to the problem, assume some unknown kinetic sliding friction force F, and a given initial velocity V0. You should be able to generate equations related to linear deceleration and angular acceleration to determe the velocity at which the ball transitions from sliding to rolling in terms of V0.

Not clearly specified in the problem statement is that you're to assume the ball's initial angular velocity is zero.

Related to Bowling ball goes from sliding to rolling

1. What causes a bowling ball to go from sliding to rolling?

The change from sliding to rolling in a bowling ball is caused by the friction between the ball and the lane surface. As the ball moves down the lane, the friction between the two surfaces gradually slows down the sliding motion and allows the ball to start rolling instead.

2. How does the surface of the bowling ball affect its transition from sliding to rolling?

The surface of the bowling ball plays a significant role in its transition from sliding to rolling. A shiny and polished surface will have less friction with the lane, causing the ball to slide further before transitioning to a rolling motion. On the other hand, a rough and textured surface will have more friction, leading to an earlier transition to rolling.

3. Is there a specific speed at which a bowling ball transitions from sliding to rolling?

Yes, there is a specific speed at which a bowling ball will transition from sliding to rolling. This speed is known as the "critical speed" and varies depending on factors such as the weight and surface of the ball, as well as the lane conditions. Generally, the heavier the ball and the more friction on the lane, the lower the critical speed will be.

4. Can a bowler control the transition from sliding to rolling?

Yes, a bowler can influence the transition from sliding to rolling by adjusting their release and the speed of their throw. By releasing the ball at the right angle and speed, the bowler can ensure that the ball transitions smoothly from sliding to rolling, giving them a better chance at hitting their desired target on the lane.

5. What happens if a bowling ball does not transition from sliding to rolling?

If a bowling ball does not transition from sliding to rolling, it will continue to slide down the lane without any rotation. This can result in a slower and less accurate throw, as well as a lower chance of knocking down pins. It is important for bowlers to properly maintain their bowling ball and adjust their technique to ensure a smooth transition from sliding to rolling.