Bouyant Force in a U Shaped Plastic Tube

In summary, to find the height of water in the long arm of a plastic tube that will cause the seal to pop, you must use the formula F = ρ*V*g, where F is the force needed to pop the seal, ρ is the density of water, V is the volume of water in the long arm, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. By isolating for V, we get the equation V = F/(ρ*g). Using a water density of 1000 kg/m^3, we can solve for V and find that a height of 0.1998 meters (or 19.98 cm) of water in the long arm will put the seal on the verge of popping.
chillpenguin

Homework Statement

A plastic tube has a cross-sectional area of 5.00 cm^2. The tube is shaped sort of like a "U". The left arm is filled with water until the right arm of length 0.800 m is full of water. The right arm is then sealed with a cap that won't pop off until a force of 9.8 N is applied. What total height of water in the long arm (left arm) will put the seal on the verge of popping?

Homework Equations

F = ρ*V*g (Force = density * volume * acceleration from gravity)

The Attempt at a Solution

Trying to solve for the height h, I used the equation 9.8 N = (5.0 cm2)(1/10000 m2/cm2)(h)(1 kg/m3)(9.81 m/s2)
I'm using the value 1 kg/m3 as the density of water and 9.81 m/s2 as the acceleration due to gravity.

Isolating h, I got 1998 m, which seems way to large. I must be doing something wrong. The units work out though. I end up with meters. But the number seems way too large.

Physics news on Phys.org
Whoops I figured it out! I should be using a water density of 1000 kg/m^3!

Related to Bouyant Force in a U Shaped Plastic Tube

1. What is the concept of buoyant force in relation to a plastic tube?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted on an object by a fluid, which in this case is the plastic tube. This force is a result of the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the tube, with greater pressure at the bottom pushing the tube upwards.

2. How does the shape of a plastic tube affect buoyant force?

The shape of the plastic tube can affect the buoyant force by altering the distribution of pressure across its surface. A wider tube will have a larger surface area and therefore experience a greater buoyant force, while a narrower tube will have less surface area and a smaller buoyant force.

3. Does the material of the plastic tube affect its buoyancy?

Yes, the material of the plastic tube can affect its buoyancy. Materials with a higher density, such as thicker or heavier plastics, will experience a greater downward force and therefore have a lower buoyant force compared to materials with lower density.

4. What factors influence the buoyant force on a plastic tube?

The buoyant force on a plastic tube is influenced by several factors, including the density of the fluid it is immersed in, the volume of the tube, the shape and material of the tube, and the depth at which it is submerged.

5. How can the buoyant force of a plastic tube be calculated?

The buoyant force of a plastic tube can be calculated using the formula Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the tube, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes the tube is completely submerged and the fluid has a uniform density.